Chapter 5

Chapter 5

        Detective Stevenson was reading through some notes she'd been handed on Scarlett's death, trying, for herself, to find out who was responsible. If anyone. She had been racking her brains for hours on end.

Drinking coffee after coffee, just hoping something would click into place somewhere in what she was reading. Hopefully she'd find it soon. For Averia's sake.

The poor girl doesn't deserve this! Not with the upbringing she had. Scarlett was such a nice girl, to risk everything to give her sister a good life. 

I'm just glad it worked. Until this happened... Detective Stevenson thought.

Everything was in hers and Scarlett's files. Obviously in the past the police had been called to their home because of their Mama's drunken rages.

This case was bugging her. For some reason, she thought Tom was innocent. She was one of the few people who did. Everyone else insists he's guilty.

After all, he was the only one in the house that night when Mrs McBride died. But then again, she could have fallen. She had been drinking, Detective Stevenson thought.

        Mrs Stevenson was the kind of woman to look at everything, from every angle. To get the best answers she can. She turned around to another woman. This woman was also a Detective, Mrs Miranda Lee, Detective Stevenson said, 'What can you make of all this?'

Detective Lee had her third skim through of the notes and thought for a few minutes.

'It is entirely possible she fell...Jumped? But obviously there is the point of the husband. He could have done it. She did throw her wedding band at him and screamed he didn't love her. He would have been very angry at the time. Maybe wasn't quite thinking straight?'

'Heartbroken?'

'Yeah, exactly. But...She also insulted a lot of other people at that dinner. Could have been any of them...It confuses me how no one else other than the step sister Averia and Tom were questioned.'

Detective Stevenson thought for a second, then rushed around picking up folders and sheets of paper. A look on her face that said she had an idea. Detective Stevenson had a plan.

'Right, try and get a list of all the people at the dinner that night and call them in for questioning. See if we can find any more clues as to what happened, any loop-holes, slip-ups...anything.' Detective Stevenson said.

'OK.' Detective Lee said.

'I'll get right on it. Maybe we should ask Ms Raynor as well as Tom, to get the best list we can.' Detective Lee said as she started looking around for contact numbers.

        So Detective Stevenson left to tell her boss that they may have more evidence to get. She felt that something wasn't right. Miranda Lee got to finding Averia and Tom's details, to get in touch and find as many names as possible.

'Averia and Tom aren't able to be here, as we already know, she's away on a break in Florida, but we can get in touch with her anytime.' Detective Lee said after a few calls around to get the list together.

'And Tom?' Detective Stevenson asked.

'Not able to make it into the station either but easily contacted.' 

'Good. How long is your list?' Detective Stevenson asked, putting down a mug of coffee on Miranda's desk and putting her glasses on.

'It's a good start at least.' Miranda said.