Chapter 1

Chapter 1

        Averia stepped out of the taxi. She looked up at the block of apartments where she lived.  Memories came flooding back to her. This was the first place she shared with Scarlett, when she was just 9 years old.

She knew damn well she'd have to move out soon. Leave it all behind. Scarlett's funeral was 6 months ago.

Averia followed in her older sister's footsteps and is working on becoming a singer. She had a few Gigs in her local area recently and people were beginning to recognize her more. Still, she missed Scarlett.

The police investigation is still on going.

They can't decide whether Tom killed her or not, it seems. Averia knew. She'd happily say Tom did it. He was the only one with her after she walked out of her own birthday dinner.

No one else saw her that night.  

Only Tom. So what was he hiding? It must have been something....

Averia would soon have to make a statement about what she remembers of that night.

Who might have been there, who had a grudge against her?

Tom. That's the only person. She threw her wedding ring away...

He must have hated her for that. He must have felt angry? Humiliated?

And he lives with her and apparently "found" her the next morning on their back yard.

 Averia went up to her apartment and went inside. She locked the door and picked up the pile of mail that had been delivered. She had to make a phone call soon, to arrange to make a statement, about what she knew of that night.

She thought she'd arrange it straight away to get it over and done with. After she'd made the appointment for in two days time, she relaxed in a nice hot bath.

Not that she could relax.

She kept thinking about all the questions she's going to be asked, having to re-live that night. As soon as it was over she was taking a holiday.

Her friend Harley had invited her to go away on holiday with him and his band, Black Absence, who she had also known for years.

They were taking her to a 5-Star Hotel where there was a Spa, 3 Pools and a small nightclub inside. Apparently people from Scarlett's record label will be there.

Including Tom's friend Craig. She leaves on Thursday. Today was Monday. She had the meeting about her statement on Wednesday, then after she could relax.

Her part in all this would be over soon.

As she stepped out the bath she heard her phone ring. She ran to answer it with only a towel around her and her hair twisted up in a towel on her head,

 'Hey Harley!' She beamed, sounding happy to hear from him.

'Hey how are you?' Harley asked.

'Just got out the bath actually. Can I call you back in a bit?' Averia asked.

''Of course, sorry Avie.' Harley said.

'OK, talk to you later.' Averia said.

'OK, bye.' Harley said also sounding happy.

        Averia put her phone down on the table and went back into her bedroom to get dressed and dry her hair. As she unravelled her hair from the towel she picked up her hairdryer and started to dry her hair.