Chapter 19

Chapter 19.

                Alex and Jake sat talking in the living space of their hotel room, when suddenly they were interrupted by someone banging loudly on their door.

        As Jake got up to answer it, he grunted, 'OK, I'm coming!'

        He jerked open the door, and there stood naomi and Harley, who looked pissed. 'You could try answering your phone once in a while, so I know you're not dead!' Harley snapped.

        'Sorry, bro. My phone was charging in the bedroom.' Jake replied, smirking.

        Harley and Naomi let themselves in past Jake and joined Alex on the sofa. 'At least we're all here.' Harley said.

        'Not all... Your friend Averia...' Alex reminded him.

        'Yeah... I should call her.' Harley said, pulling out his phone as he settled on the white leather sofa. Dialing Averia's number, Naomi noticed he was shaking.

        She nudged Alex with her elbow and gestured for him to look. 'Are you OK? You're shaking quite a bit.' He asked.

        'Yeah... I guess... It's just all this is getting to me I think.' Harley replied. He sighed. 'She's not answering.' He said as he ended the call.

        'Calm down. It's only 10am, I bet the poor girl's probably sleeping. Or in the shower or something.' Jake said, going to retrieve his phone from the bedroom.

        As he unlocked the screen he saw the 10 missed calls from Harley and 6 from  Naomi. 'Did you not stop to think, at any point, that maybe I was just asleep, or I didn't hear my phone... Why assume we're dead?' He showed Naomi and Harley his phone.

        'Sorry... We just got worried.' Naomi admitted. 'Then we decided to just come round here instead.'

        'So what's your excuse for not even having your phone turned on?!' Harley asked, as he turned to Alex.

        'So people can't disturb me while I'm trying to sleep.'Alex said bluntly.

        Harley was trying Averia's number again.She didn't answer. 'Maybe I should go up there.' He said.

        'Maybe you should stop worrying.'

                They all turned around to see who had spoke. Averia stood in the doorway to Alex and Jake's room smirking.

        'Don't you guys know how to close a door?' She asked, raising her eyebrows.

        'You frightened the life out of me!' Naomi said, breathlessly, as she was still clutching a hand to her chest.

        'Don't say that! I'll be arrested for that too.' Averia laughed.

        'What are you doing here anyway?' Harley asked.

        'Looking for you actually.' Averia said. 'You weren't at yours so I figured you'd either be here, or looking for me... Or both, as it happens.'

        'What's wrong?' Naomi asked, as Harley walked Averia into the room and walked with her to the living area where he got her a seat.

        'Thanks.' She said to Harley. 'Nothing really, I just wanted to say that I had another detective round earlier, asking me about the deaths. And she actually suggested that the deaths might be connected to Scarlett's.' Averia explained.