Two Months Later

{Leyla’s POV}

Me and Team Jacob was almost done with cleaning up Middle Street and it was 2:15. We  started Pleasant St. Jacob was picking up trash and talking with Zoey. Basi was picking up trash by herself and minding her own business. I stuck by myself. Myles walked over to me. That’s strange. He usually doesn’t talk to me. I wonder what he wants?

Myles: Hey leyla! How are you doing so far?

Me: I’m doing ok.

Myles looked at me and was about to put his hand on my shoulder. I flinched and stepped away. He looked at me strange. I didn’t want to send him the wrong message but I cant let him touch me. No it’s not because of germs it’s because I’m not supposed to let a guy touch me inappropriately. It leads to sex. It would be embarrassing if I told him that. He and the other guys wouldn’t understand. Most guys today only want the kitty and I’m not about to give it to him.

Myles: You ok there leyla? You sorta backed away from me in an awkward way.

Me: Oh yea, sorry. *lies and scratches shoulder* I got an itch on my shoulder and I have to scratch it.

Myles: Oh yea. When I get itches like that I have to scratch them too.

Me and myles laughed for a bit until it grew awkward and silent.

Myles: Say, leyla…

Me: mm-hmm

Myles: I was wondering. Since barjaa, basimah, and zoey all wear their head covers and long clothing how come you are the only muzlum girl that don’t.

Ugh. I should have figured he was gonna ask me that. It’s too embarrassing for me to tell him the truth so I’ll come up with a good excuse for now.

Me: Oh um, I like to be different. I like to stand out and do me you know?

Myles: Ohhh ok. I gotcha. Yea it sucks tryin to be like someone else.

Me: I knooooow, right? Like come on. Let me have my own swagger. *chuckles*

The REAL reason why I didn’t wear my hijab and abaya was because my period didn’t start yet. In Islam girls don’t have to cover until they get their menstrual cycles. Which is a good thing for me cuz I didn’t have to worry about all the non-muslims picking on me for wearing my hijab because I’m not considered a “woman” yet until I receive my period. I’m in the 10th grade and I’m 15 with no period. I bet all the public school girls will be totally jealous of me because they have to worry about all the cramping, and leakage, and all that yucky stuff. We learn about sex ed here at carrie’s. It’s the last class before we go home.

Jacob: OK PEOPLE. WE ARE OFFICIALLY FINISHED!!

TeamJacob: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Jacob: Now let’s head back to Ms. Carrie’s! Good job everybody.

Thank the lord. I’m tired and hungry.

We walked back to Ms. Carrie’s house and didn’t see desiree’s team yet. Maybe they haven’t finished. Myles and Jacob offered to throw our bags into MC’s garbage can and we all took turns at the sink washing our hands as we were ready for some snacks. After we had snacks we were released to go home. Around 3 pm. It felt like school except we didn’t learn anything or at least I didn’t.

{Zoey’s POV}-at home

Oh shit. OOoooo Myles get on my nerves. He's beginning to act like my brother taley. He knows who my boyfriend is now. I hope he don’t tell taley. He can’t. I guess I better pretend that I like him so he won’t snitch me out. Myles is kinda cute but diggy is still my man tho.