Community service project

{Myles’s POV}

Today was another Friday! Thank goodness because we usually don’t get homework on Friday’s and so I don’t really have no place to go or do anything since my mom says that I can’t bring no hoodrats to the house without her permission and that if I want to bring people over, she has to be there too to screen them and shit. It’s embarrassing.

Right now I’m at mrs. Carrie’s house during homeschool as she is letting us know about this thing we’re about to do.

Mrs. Carrie: Today class, I have something fun for you all to enjoy!

Class: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

MC: *smiles* Now, now everybody settle. I have an assignment for you—

Barjaa: Ooooo I wonder what it is?

Des: *mumbles* I bet it’s something lame.

Ray: I know right? *chuckles*

Basimah: Will yall hush? Dang.

Both desiree and ray gave basimah the death glare. Basimah shot one back at them. Desiree stuck out her tongue and ray rolled his eyes.

MC: *clears throat* ANYWAYS…as I was saying. The assignment I have for you all is that every week we are going to be taking part in community service for helping to  keep our streets clean.

Class: WHAAAAAT?

Chres: Community service?

Des: UN-UN Ms. Carrie why we gotta clean the streets?

Ray: YEA, how come the other folks ain’t doin it?

MC: Children please. You should be grateful that we are doing this. Both public and private schools have some type of community service activity for their students so why can’t we? I mean we can squeeze in sometime and clean up the streets right?

The class was muttering amongst themselves until Jacob stood up.

Jacob: WAIT! Why are you people getting upset about this? Like Ms. Carrie said, this IS a good opportunity for us. And as you all should know I’m all about keeping the environment clean because I recycle.

Des: Oh big WOOP!

Ray: Yea, do you need a reward or some type of compensation to go along with your tree-hugging philoshophy?

Ray and des laughed.

Jacob: NO. I don’t need a reward for what I choose to do. I'm really proud of keeping my yard clean daily. If you come to my house I am a shining example of that.

Ray faked yawn and des rolled her eyes in boredom.

MC: Well I’m glad that someone is on board with the idea. You know Jacob, you could be the captain of your team.

Jacob: *smiles* I can?

MC: Sure. Yall will be splitted up into two big groups of five since it’s a total of 10 students. You will each receive a trash bag, a pair of gloves and---

Leyla: WAIT! We doin this now?

MC: YEA. When else did you think that we were gonna do this?

Leyla: I thought this was gonna be a weekend thing like on Saturday or something but not during school.

Barjaa: Yea, and I don’t wanna pick up trash in my beautiful blue and white abaya.

Class: YEA!!!!

MC: Alright, alright settle down. I forgot to give you guys a heads up. This will get started tomorrow.

Barjaa: *phew* What a relief.