1 | An Angel Sent From Heaven

True love is rare, and it's the only thing that gives life real meaning

- Nicholas Sparks

C H A P T E R O N E

L A C Y
W H I T E

- - -

A LAUGH ESCAPED my lips as I watched the young children unwrap their presents- eyes as wide as golf balls and smiles as bright as the stars; strung upon their lips as they ripped through the paper.

"Thank you for these gifts Ms. White." Little hands tugged the back of my skirt, causing my head to turn.

I bent down to reach the little girls small height and placed my hands on her either side of her shoulders.

"Of course, darling! I'm glad you enjoyed them." I smiled. "I'm Lacy." I told her, watching her eyes light up as she stared up at me through her lusciously thick lashes.

"I'm Amelia." She replied, her voice soft and gentle.

A surge of joy swept throughout my body and my heart melted at the sight before me.

Glancing over to the clock that idly hung over the door, I stood up, clasping my hands together.

"It's been a pleasure coming to see you all. I'll be back soon and I'm already excited." Smiles beamed upon all of their little faces.

I waved goodbye to Amelia and the rest of the children and made my to the front reception.

Before I could exit, a voice spoke up. "It's overwhelmingly kind what you're doing-" Turning my head to the side to the women behind the desk, I cracked a grin.

"It wasn't any trouble at all. A good deed goes along way." With one final look, I exited the orphanage.

Pulling my bag higher up onto my shoulder, I joined the bustling crowds that rushed through the streets of New York: satisfaction brewing within.

C Y R U S
K N I G H T

"I want this done by today. Correctly." I roared, ferociously glaring at the timid man before me with eyes as sharp as blades.

"Ss-ir, something like this can't be done in a matter of..-" Raising a challenging eyebrow at him, my eyes narrowed into thin slits.

"I don't care. Get it done or it's your job on the line. Now get out of my face and don't come back until the sketch is competed." It didn't take long for the scrawny man to scamper out of the room with his tail between his legs.

A ray of light beamed before me, a constant flashing which averted my attention to the device.

Sighing in annoyance, I frustratedly pressed the button beside my computer and spoke into the microphone. "Kate, get in here."

The sound of heels clattering against the ground was all that could be heard and not a moment later, the door opened instantly.