19| Always Will Be His

The very essence of romance is uncertainty
- Oscar Wilde

C H A P T E R N I N E T E E N

L A C Y
W H I T E

---

PUSHING DOWN THE nerves that seemed to crawl up my stomach, I applied a layer of red lipstick, consciously looking over my outfit as I stepped away from the body-length mirror.

Pulling me from my thoughts, the doorbell had rung, signalling the arrival of Ace.

Picking up my purse from the dining room table, I opened the door, revealing his suit clad self. He looked handsome, with slick back hair and eyes gleaming with joy the minute he'd took in my form.

"You look stunning as usual." He grinned charmingly and I sent him a small smile in gratitude.

"Thank you. You look very handsome." I complimented him as he slipped his arm around my waist, guiding me towards the elevator and then reaching over to tap the silver button.

On arriving to the car, he opened the door for me like a true gentlemen, allowing me to slip in with ease.

My thumbs nervously twiddled as I waited for Ace to slide into the drivers seat.

The tension become thick as he sat, his hands immediately finding the steering wheel as he let out a puff of breath.

"What are we doing?" He questioned abruptly.

I sent him a curious gaze, his emerald green eyes holding a sad look as he licked his lips and carried on.

"I know you don't have feelings for me and honestly this was a mistake. I still love you, Lacy, there's no denying that." I watched Ace with widened eyes, hearing the way his voice was tinged in sadness and pain.

"Cyrus is a good friend of mine and to do what I've done to him just proves what a bad person I am." Ace stated. I shook my head in disagreement and placed my hand on his.

"We both made a mistake, Ace. You can't take all the blame." I paused and the silence returned. "I truly am sorry." Ace smiled through the pain and leaned towards me, placing one last lingering kiss onto my lips.

Up close, he whispered, his finger trailing over my cheek gently. "Who am I to be standing in the way of two people in love?" The familiar words uttered by Cyrus had struck a chord within me.

"I'm not-.." Ace grinned as I stuttered to finish off my sentence. "You are. I can see it in your eyes, sweetheart."

Allowing his words to settle in my mind, I let out a breath. I had feelings for Cyrus. But love? I bit my lip as I thought and then closed my eyes.

It felt like forever until my eyes had snapped open and my heart began to pound. "Oh my God." I whispered as my eyes shifted to Ace who watched me intently.

"I love him." My voice was soft and gentle and that was when my heart began to ache. I couldn't believe what I'd done and the more I thought about the pain I must've cost him, the heavier my chest began to feel.

"And now you have to tell him." With one last look, Ace put the gear stick into drive and like a bullet, the car zipped through the air.