10| Arguements

You are the first and the last thing on my mind, each and every day
- Unknown

C H A P T E R T E N

L A C Y
W H I T E

- - -

I COULDN'T STOP thinking about him. He'd weaselled his way into my mind and now it was as if he'd been awarded a permanent place.

Breaking me from my train of thoughts, a series of loud and repetitive knocks erupted throughout my apartment.

Hurrying to the door as the knocks got louder, I pulled it up and gasped.

Jumping back in shock, my mother flung herself at me, a big smile upon her lips as she kissed me repeatedly on my cheek, possibly leaving behind a big red lipstick stain.

"Mother? What's the matter?" I asked as she let out a squeal, dragging me towards the living room and shoving me down into a sitting position.

Utterly confused as to what was going on, I allowed her to speak. "Why in the word didn't you tell me about your boyfriend?!" She cried out, a big grin displayed on her timelessly beautiful face.

"Wha-no, I don't have a-?" I was then rudely cut off.

"Oh my baby. My beautiful baby. You father and I are so pleased. We're simply over the moon after looking at the new headlines. 'Lacy White, heiress to White Corp has finally found love with one of New York's hottest bachelors, Cyrus Knight'." She beamed, her eyes filled with happiness as she clapped her hands excitedly, recalling the news headlines. She frantically waved a newspaper in the air.

"Wait what? Let me see." I spoke up as she handed me the newspaper.

Scrambling to find the page, my eyes widened in shock.

"Your children would be absolutely gorgeous, oh just imagine, darling!"

From then and onwards I blocked her out, not bothering to listen to another word.

Cyrus and I were nothing-yes I may have just realised that it was something beyond a small crush but that didn't overrule the fact that Cyrus wasn't right for me.

I dropped my head in annoyance, sighing and then eventually looking up to take in my mother's overjoyed expression.

Her smile was something that I'd never seen before. She was beyond ecstatic.

Pursing my lips, I realised that I would have to tell her that Cyrus and I really weren't dating. She had to know.

But, the question was, could I crush the joy that she had just developed?

"Please dear, invite him over tonight for dinner. I want to meet Cyrus again-this time, him being your boyfriend!" She sprung to her feet instantly, her grin never faltering as she rushed to the front door.

"You will come with him tonight, won't you?" She asked, her eyes withholding a pleading glint.

I bit my lip as I gulped down a lump of nerves.

"Of course."

And then I felt the colour pale from my face as if realised what I'd just done.

Oh no.

- - -

Today just isn't my day. I thought to myself as I bit my lip.