16| Jealousy

I think romance is anything honest. As long as it's honest, it's so disarming
- Kristen Stewart

C H A P T E R S I X T E E N

C Y R U S
K N I G H T

- - -

MY FINGERS CREATED a rhythmic pattern as they drummed against my desk, my mind, once again, switched to Lacy.

Sighing deeply I licked my lips, rising from my leather seat. My gaze shifted towards the bar that was situated in the corner of the room.

Slipping off my jacket from my shoulders, I placed it on the couch, rolling up my sleeves until they reached my elbows.

I was in need of a strong drink so I settled for a glass of whisky. Pouring in a decent amount of the bronze liquid, I let a sigh escape my lips and threw my head back to tip the liquid into my mouth.

With one hand, I picked up the glass and took it with me as I moved to stand before the glass window that overlooked the whole city.

A moment later, the door to my office had opened abruptly. My brows furrowed as I spun around, only to have a big grin appear on my face.

"Ace Collins." I chuckled, taking in the appearance of best friend stood who stood before me. His eyes were filled with joy as he his arms wide open, his emerald green eyes glistening.

"Cyrus Knight, my favourite bastard." He smirked. I gladly accepted his hug, placing the glass of whisky down.

"What are you doing back?" I asked, referring to his business trip to Italy which was supposed to take more than a year.

"I cancelled the deal. Things over there weren't how I expected and they didn't exactly meet my standards." He shrugged and swiped the glass of whisky from my desk, sending me a wink as he casually sauntered over to my sofa.

Ace and I go way back. We formed a string bond back when we became roommates in college. Since then, we'd been dealing with our lives, yet still remaining good friends.

"Now, onto more pressure matters, I read that you're dating Lace." He smiled. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Lace?" I asked and then he chuckled, placing his glass down.

"Yeah, Lacy White." He explained in a bored tone. My eyes narrowed into thin slits at his amused expression.

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I am."

My mind shifted back to when Ace has called Lacy 'Lace'. "You know her?" I asked.

Ace grinned sheepishly, his eyes shifting to a clear space as he looked into the distance.

"We were-friends. We went to high school together. Luca, Lacy and I. We were quite the trio back then." He stated as his eyes met with mine.

As I stared at him, I caught on to a look that lingered in his eyes. It was a look that I disliked. A look that only I should have.

It was a look that had me beyond jealous.

To test the theory of mine for sure, I grabbed by coat and shrugged it on. "Let's go see her."

Ace eyed me for a moment and then he sprung to his feet and followed behind my tense form.

My eyes were trained on the passing cars as we drove to Lacy's workplace.

Parking up, Ace had immediately got out of his seat in which he wouldn't stop fiddling in and left for the boutique.

My eyes narrowed as I watched from the car, observing how he nervously ran a hand through his jet black hair and consciously stuffed a hand into his pocket.

He stepped through the doorway, his body facing Lacy's back as she dealt with a customer, her brown curls fell down her back elegantly as they swayed with each movement.

My heart began to beat faster as I witnessed the two of them from outside the shop window.

Before anything could happen, I followed behind Ace into the store and watched with curiosity.

Ace cleared his throat and spoke.
"Nice place you have here." Ace stated. I noticed the way Lacy's shoulder had tended as she paused in her spot.

She spun around and her eyes had widened. "Ace." She whispered. Her shocked expression morphed into a look of utter joy.

"Lace." He replied, spreading his arms wide and then shuffling back a couple of steps as Lacy ran towards him.

"Oh my god! What are you doing here? I've missed you so much." Lacy beamed as Ace let out an amused chuckle. He placed his large hands on her waist and grinned.

My eyes burnt holes into his back as I stared at the two with so much intensity.

A blazing fire brewed within and my fists clenched tightly at my sides. My jaw line became more defined as I gritted my teeth harshly.

I was jealous and there was no stopping that as the two of them re-united before my eyes.

"Let's go then." I was brought back into reality as my ears had perked up at those three words.

My gaze shifted from where Ace's hands were conveniently placed on Lacy's waist and then back to the their beaming expressions.

Minutes later, Ace stood before me with my angel by his side as.

"Cyrus, I'm taking Lacy out for lunch..if that's okay with you?"

Shifting my gaze to Lacy, I watched as she uncomfortably fidgeted in my presence.

I knew Ace well-he was a good friend after all. But no way in hell was he going to take my Lacy out to lunch.

Before I could reply with a harsh 'no', the two of them were already out the door.

My chest burned as I stormed after them, watching from a distance as Lacy shut her card door and turned onto the road.

The back of her car was out of my sight as soon as it turned the corner.

Jumping to action, I stalked towards my car and eased into the leather seat.

Shaking my head furiously, my hands gripped the steering wheel.

There was more to this than just friendship. I knew it because of the way Ace was looking at her.

That look in his eyes said it all and the more I thought about it, the more angered I became.

He shouldn't be feeling such things for her, because that was what I was starting to feel: love.

---

Did you like the chapter?
Let me know in the comments!