3| Coincidence

When you look at me, when you think of me, I am in paradise
- William Makepeace Thackeray

C H A P T E R T H R E E

C Y R U S
K N I G H T

- - -

I FIXED MY cuffs as I entered the doors to the hall. The cameras flashed simultaneously, capturing each moment as the blinding lights surrounded me.

I had received an invitation to a charity event which I planned on attending in order to make new connections for myself.

In particular, there was one man who I would make sure I'd re-meet. Andrew White.

I admired him very much so. He was a man who knew every principle of business and you could say that I looked up to him.

On entering, my eyes scoped the mansion, spotting thousands of guests situated around the hall, each of them with flutes of champagne glued to their hands.

My shiny black shoes clicked against the marble floor as I walked past many business associates, sending each of them a curt nod, my emotionless face remaining in tact.

One hand rested inside my trouser pocket whilst the other grabbed a champagne flute, instinctively taking a small sip as I rounded the corner.

"Cyrus Knight! where the bloody hell have you been for the past week?!" I stopped in my place, my lips curling into an amused grin as I turned around to meet the owner of the voice.

"Paul Carter. Good to see you." I chuckled lightly, watching him as he grinned and then sauntered over towards me in such a carefree manner.

"I've been working." I shrugged as he shook his head, a long, amused chuckle escaping his lips.

"You're always working. You, my friends, need to relax more." Was his reply.

Quirking both brows, I shook my head. "I don't think so."

Paul's grin widened a moment later and then he rose a suggesting brow. "So, tell me Rus-"

"-any woman in your life yet?"

"No." I answered, unfazed with the partial lie that had escaped my lips.

It's true..I did have a woman on mind and she hadn't seemed to leave.

That angel. That woman that I couldn't stop thinking about-Lacy, that was her name.

Never have I ever thought of a woman like this before, I hadn't ever had the time to.

It was all about my business and my company and money and everything but women.

Then came Lacy, with her long brown locks. Those big brown eyes and that innocent aura and-

"Cyrus." I snapped out of my thoughts when my mind soon returned to the land of the living, settling down from the clouds as I sunk back into reality.

"What?" I bluntly questioned as I turned to face Paul again.

"You blanked out..sort of. Are you alright?" Paul asked, a confused expression strung upon his features.