22| Broken

Sometimes you've got to let the wrong one go, in order to find the right one
- Unknown

C H A P T E R
T W E N T Y - T W O

L A C Y
W H I T E

- - -

"WHAT ARE YOU doing here Karen?" Cyrus snapped as he stormed towards the smirking blond, his eyes filled with rage as he looked over her relaxed form.

"I came to tell your girlfriend the wonderful news." She smiled, her big, plump lips curled into a smirk as she left us both curious.

"What could you possibly want to tell me?" I asked, curiosity bubbling within as I looked over her tall and thin self, my eyes narrowing as I watched the excitement ooze from her skin.

"I think you might want to take a look at this." She smiled as she licked her lips, shifting her eyes to meet Cyrus's suspicious gaze.

Silence overcame the three of us as we shared different types of looks between us.

Sighing, I looked down at the envelope and ripped it open, pulling out a white sheet of paper.

As my eyes scanned over each word, a pain in my chest erupted.

This can't be happening.
I thought, my mind filling with thoughts, worries and doubts.

A gasp escaped my lips as I gripped the letter tightly in my hands, my chest tightening as I began to loose the ability to breath.

"W-What is it?" Cyrus asked, as he sent me a worried look, his hand resting on my arm as he searched my expression anxiously.

And then came the next statement, which left Cyrus she'll shocked.

"I'm pregnant." Karen voiced, a small hint of amusement lacing the acid dripped words as they spilled from her poisonous mouth.

"It's not mine." Cyrus instantly snapped, his frame rigid and stif as he whipped around to face Karen.

A wave of anger and fury wafted off of Cyrus as he stood tall, his hands clenched into fists as they were pinned to his sides.

"That child-the one you claim you're pregnant with-is not mine." Cyrus snarled, his eyes trailing to me as he looked over me over.

"It is." I whispered as I held the sheet of paper in my hands. The test that proved that Cyrus was indeed the father.

"No. No, it can't be. We were safe. We used protection. You were on the pill." Cyrus scoffed, his eyes darting around the room frantically as he ran his hand through his hair.

"Just face it, Cyrus. That baby is yours." I bit back a cry as I pulled a small smile onto my lips, ignoring the sounds of my heart breaking.

"You're going to be a father." I whimpered as I held back the tears that begged to be set free.

"Lacy." He frantically shook his head. "This was before we got together. I promise you, I would never cheat on you. You have to believe me." Cyrus stated, his voice filled with a pleading tone.

"Please. Lacy. Please." He begged as I turned my head to face the other direction.

"Congratulations." I muttered as I turned on my heel, stalking into my bedroom and shoving the piece of paper against his chest.

Storming into my room, I shut the door with a bang and allowed the tears to fall freely.

My back was now bent over as I sat at the edge of my bed, my hands clasped together.

I couldn't deprive a child of his father, nor could I deprive a child of a chance at having a family. It would be immensely selfish of me to keep him away from a woman that needs him far more than I do.

Seconds later, the sound of my door opening creaked throughout the room, signalling the arrival of a new presence.

"Lacy-I-I love you. I don't...I can't-I'm so sorry." Cyrus whispered as he stood in the doorway, his eyes filled with sadness.

"Look. Karen is pregnant. It's your child inside of her. You're going to be a father." I tried my best to smile.

"Karen will need you and if anything, you should be overwhelmed with happiness. A child is a blessing. You should always remember that." I explained as I stood up and walked towards him, stopping before him as he stared at me in pain.

Cyrus took a hold of my face within his hands and spoke.
"But I don't want her to be the mother of my child. You're the only woman in this world that I'd ever want to share a blessing like that with." Cyrus voiced out, his voice now strained from crying.

"Cyrus." I shook my head and sucked in a breath. "Karen is going to need you. I won't be the kind of woman that takes away a child's father from them. Focus on Karen and the baby. They should be your main concern. I love you, Cyrus..but you need to go." I cried as I poured out what was left of my broken heart to him.

I reached for his hand, pulling it forward and opening his closed fist, watching his eyes fill with pain as my next actions hurt both him and I.

I pulled the promise ring off of my left finger, biting my lips as I placed the silver ring into the palm of his hand.

"Goodbye, Cyrus." I smiled softly as he stepped back, stalking out of my apartment without a single word.

I backed up towards a wall and slid down until I'd met with the floor.

This is what it felt like to be completely and utterly shattered.

I threw my head back and closed my eyes and felt nothing but sheer and utter pain.

- - -

Did you like the chapter?
Let me know in the comments!