23 | Heartless

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams
- Dr. Seuss

C H A P T E R
T W E N T Y - T H R E E

L A C Y
W H I T E

- - -

A WEEK HAD had painfully slowly passed by and I hadn't heard a peep from Cyrus.

It broke me even more, every single day knowing that I let the man that I loved go.

It hurt immensely but it was the right thing to do.

Staring into the mirror, I couldn't quite recognise the woman that stood before me. She had tear stains on her cheeks, the salty liquid shimmering as the light reflected off of the wet patches. Her eyes were bloodshot, red and tired and they no longer held the happy glint that glimmered and gleamed.

The doorbell began to ring and with one look, I wiped away the dried tear stains and licked my lips and then made my way towards the front door.

Clearing my throat, I pulled it open, a ghost of smile stretching across upon my lips as I tried to mask my pain and sadness.

"Lacy." Ace smiled sadly and then then the smile upon my own face had dropped.

Without a word, I pushed the door open and whirled around on my heel, leaving him to enter and close the door behind him.

"I heard the news. I'm so sorry." He apologised.

Clearing my throat, I shifted my eyes elsewhere. "It's okay. I guess I'm doing fine." I lied, giving it a moment as I looked over Ace's suspicious gaze.

"Mhm." He mumbled as he stepped forwards and suddenly pulled me into a warm hug.

"It's okay to be upset, Lacy. You can cry in front of me. I'll be right here, comforting you." He told me, encouraging me to let my emotions out.

"Thanks." I sniffled, learning my head against his chest as I listened to the beating of his heart.

Leading me to the couch, he made me sit and then placed a warm and woolly blanket over me.

"Here." I looked up, my mindless train of thoughts vanishing, as Ace held a steaming cup of tea before me.

I took the cup from him and blew on the surface of the boiling liquid.

Seconds later, the sound of the tv switching on clicked throughout the air.

I couldn't care less about what was on. I didn't want to think about anything at all.

"-congrats to Cyrus and Karen." The words from the tv had caught my attention.

Placing my teacup down, I shifted my view to the screen.

"In just 3 days time, the insanely attractive couple will be settling down. It looks like Cyrus Knight has finally found the one. The wedding will take place-.." I grabbed the remote and pressed the red button causing the tv to switch off in a flash.