Chapter 9: Candy Rush

Luke's car pulled into the driveway and Michael and I walked out front. I could see Luke's surprised expression once we approached the car. I climbed in the front seat and Michael climbed in the back.

"Michael's coming." I stated the obvious.

"I noticed. Hey Michael." Luke said. I looked behind me and saw Michael nod then turn to look out the window.

"So... Are we all still going to the movie?" He asked as he pulled out of the driveway.

"Yeah, I guess so."

He pulled out and started down the road. It was awkwardly silent. I could hear Michael shuffling constantly in the back and Luke was drumming his fingers on the steering wheel.

Luke turned up the radio slightly, to get rid of some of the tension.

"I love this song!" Luke and Michael both said at the same time. Luke's mouth was open wide and he glanced back at Michael.

"You know Blink?" He asked.

"No shit. Who doesn't know Blink?" Michael said.

The whole ride there, all they talked about was how great Blink 182's albums were.

After 20 minutes, we finally made it to the theaters.

"What movie are we watching?" Michael asked, wedging himself between Luke and I.

"I was thinking The Conjuring." Luke smirked down at me. My eyes widened. I loved scary movies.

"Yes!" I cheered. Luke laughed and bought the tickets.

"Thanks Luke." I said as he handed my ticket to me.

"Thanks man." Michael small smiled.

"Anything for my dates." He teased. Michael, surprisingly, laughed. I smiled at the two of them and we walked inside.

The movie would be starting in about 15 minutes.

"I'm gonna go get us food. What do ya want?" Luke asked as he stood.

"I'll just have a water and get me some sour candy, please." I smiled wide and handed him 10 dollars. He nodded and smiled.

"Uh, I'll just have a coke." Michael said, handing him a 5 dollar bill. Luke nodded again and walked out of the theatre.

"You know, you never really told me what you thought about... Us..." He trailed off.

"Us? What us? I like this us." I said. "Besides, I didn't think I was obligated to answer so quickly." I said.

"You're not. I'm just an impatient asshole."

"You're not an asshole... All of the time." I small smiled.

"I only do it because I care. I'm not used to caring so much." He said.

"Why is it so hard for you?"

"It's not hard. It's just foreign to me. I don't like caring. It stresses me out too much." He laughed.

"Welcome to my world. I care too much about the people who couldn't care less about me."

"Except me. I care about you. I just didn't know until I talked to you in the hallway."

"Do you remember in 8th grade at lunch I was walking passed you with my tray of food and you tripped me?" I asked, looking up at him. He frowned and nodded, "that was the day I told myself I would just be by myself. Everyone meant nothing to me and I didn't talk to anybody for the rest of that school year."