Chapter Three

Four weeks had passed since the incident at the hot springs; I called Alduin 'Your Grace' and sealed off my heart from him. But it seemed all too easy for him to pretend like nothing had ever almost happened, particularly that kissing thing he spoke of. At first I was overcome by frustration and sadness at how rapidly he had dismissed the possibility of us. He trained us to fight and he did his job well. We all laughed and talked together, all of us growing closely bonded in the Nightingale Sector, but that was a far as our relationships with Alduin went. Tonight was the last night we were to see him for a while because he had to return to heaven to prepare for the war. We were supposed to continue our training, with Cael as our leader, and eventually go into battle when given the signal.

When I wasn't training I snuck away from the group to the main island in Atlantis. I visited Alduin's palace of a house and walked the numerous rooms, halls, libraries, gardens, and courtyards. I spent time in his forest acquainting myself with his fae and the strong connection I felt to our homeland. I spent hours smelling the various flowers, touching the velvet petals of the sacred Nightingale, and whispering to the nymphs and other fae residing in his land. While he was away in heaven, his home would be my only link to him. If only I could so easily forget as he does.

I placed my journal under my blanket.

"What do you write about?" Cael smiled at me. He was so friendly and likeable. He was quickly becoming a brother to me.

"Cael, she's writing about which one of us she finds more handsome. But we all know who that would be." Klaus had this salacious grin on his snarky face.

"Of course, Klaus. That's precisely what I write of." I indulged him for a second, to which he grinned mercilessly.

"Okay, okay," Alduin chuckled. "While I'm gone I expect you to keep training and be ready for battle when it's time. Cael, you're the leader of the Nightingales. Keep him in line." He gestured at Klaus who was now admiring his reflection in a puddle of rain water. I smirked and rubbed at my temples. Gods save us.

Cael rose to his feet and stood before Alduin respectfully. "Your Grace, I am honored to lead us into battle. I hope you know that I will do my level best to make you proud always." Alduin's face was a confliction of many different emotions for a mere minute and then he was back to his stoic self.

"Ass kisser," Klaus coughed.

"Behave while I'm gone," Alduin warned the blonde idiot. But the angel was already settling himself down onto the ground for a nap. I sighed, realizing just how long this time was going to be without our God.

"Gabby."

I looked up instantly. Alduin took me aside and spoke as quietly as he could. We had advanced hearing like the Gods, something he was very aware of.

"You named me Gabriela." I all but snapped at him.

His face hardened, "I know you've been leaving the island."

"I didn't know visiting your house was a crime." I glared at him, standing my ground.

"You've been visiting my house?" His harsh gaze softened. Gods, his moods are so up and down. One minute he wants nothing to do with me, the next he's calling me 'Gabby'.

I didn't give him an answer. I kept my eyebrows furrowed and resentment apparent on my face.

"I wish you understood." His voice was very hushed.