Chapter Fifteen

September 2013

The anticipated masquerade ball was upon the newly built castle. It still smelled of fresh timber and earthy stones. Every room, dance hall, and corridor was decorated in elegant ancient touches from every era in human royal history and the fae monarch's history. It still showcased nature-themed touches of Atlantis and the non-technological ways Alex preferred, while also adding human and fae monarch aspects. It was beautiful and grand. Alex himself decided every little detail; from stone color to mural subject and even the material of the drapes on the windows. It was a long and tedious process as Alex was very picky and precise, but the finished product was surely a remarkable sight to see, not to mention well worth the time.

My chambers were beside Alex's in his personal wing of the enormous castle. No doubt he had spent a pretty penny on my room. Marie Antoinette would have adored it because it seemed styled after her tastes. The walls were pale rose damask with a wide gold stripe. The elevated ceiling was an elaborate design of cream patterns and thick golden trim. The crystal chandeliers and numerous beautiful paintings made me feel like royalty.

It wasn't common for a woman that wasn't a God's wife or mistress to live so close to him, especially not the room next door. It was even more mysterious for an angel of his no less. On a daily basis, I heard the rumors as I went to town or visited my lonely cabin. And on those days I continued to ignore them. But tonight when the deities, Siren Queens, and other important people arrived and I was presented at Alex's side, it would be difficult to escape the whispers.

I was even less prepared for being in my old God's presence again. Last time threatened to break me or bring me back to him. This time it would be even harder. It wasn't just a masquerade ball I had to endure, but a whole weekend of activities. The one day event Phina had harmlessly suggested had turned into a weekend retreat for the key figures in our world. Luxurious apartments in the castle catering to each guest had already been built in case anyone was too intoxicated or didn't wish to leave yet. That was almost guaranteed to happen. After all, the Atlantean pantheon was almost completely fae in nature.

Suddenly my door burst open and in walked a group of prestigious and well-known women. The servant girl beside me gripped the hem of my poufy ball gown and choked as she struggled to breathe. All of the women were stylishly dressed in classy elaborate gowns that bespoke their individual style.

I carefully stepped off the pedestal, turned away from the fine gilded wall mirror, and bowed before the Siren Queens. Of course they were the first to enter and approach me, as was customary. Maya's chocolate and ice swirling eyes were framed by a metallic mask adorned with diamonds I assumed were real. It matched her Gothic black lace dress with glittering net over the bodice. Her skin and hair was transformed to a paler color after she became the Ice Princess, but I saw no trace of that now. Instead, she had a youthful tan and her hair seemed more gold blonde like when she was human.

Phina rushed forward to pull me to my feet and embrace me. I brushed a glossy dark curl of hers away from my lipstick stained lips.

"You look gorgeous, Gabby." Phina smiled demurely. "Doesn't she, My?"

The other Siren Queen scrutinized my dress and face before she replied, "She looks bitchin'!"

"What the hell does that mean?" I frowned.

The blood demon, Ketsueki, materialized beside her blood bond and hissed at me, "Gabby, be nice to my pretty Maya! She gave you a compliment."

Maya chuckled and patted her charge's shoulder. "It's okay; I guess bitchin' isn't quite popular yet. Don't worry; it's a good thing, Gabby."