Chapter Eight

England, 1750 AD

That was the last time I had seen Alex. He no longer frequented the places I had learned he usually visited. Without any way of communicating with him, our friendship seemed impossible and finished. In silent I mourned the possibility of what he offered me and the friend I had found in him, but I also had no other choice. It seemed cruel to string him along in my back pocket as I patiently waited for Alduin to pop back into my life. I knew it wasn't fair to him. Alex knew that too and that's also why he probably stayed away from me. I couldn't be selfish and blame him for it.

My sadness would have to wait because Lissy's wedding was the coming weekend and my presence was expected. Lissy's letter sounded hopeful I would come, but also discouraged. I had to go. Lissy and Klaus both needed me there. Besides, I longed to see Cael and Abby and everyone. They were my strange blended family, one that would be bonded forever.

I arrived a week before the wedding to surprise my angelic family and to annoy Klaus. He was quite entertaining to tease, especially since I had met Rosalie for the first time. I briefly recalled the dewy eyed angel in Alduin's heavenly realm. Although she was suspicious and clearly possessive of Klaus, I also noted the respect and admiration in her tone when she addressed me. She must have heard of the Nightingale Sector days.

Usually the Dark Manor lived up to its shadowy name but for once it was buzzing with light, flowers, and joy. I hung Lissy's wedding dress in the drawing parlor near the open window. Katarina's dress was transformed from a tattered musty garb into a timeless elegant gown fit for a princess. I embroidered flowers on the tight fitting dress with the finest lace and adorned the bodice in glossy pearls and shiny diamonds. Lissy stood by the window bathed in sunshine. Tears shimmered in her eyes as she admired my work.

She cupped her mouth and gasped.

"Do you like it?" I smiled, already knowing her answer.

She smirked at me and pulled me into a close embrace. Her tiny body shook gently as she cried. "Thank you, Gabby."

"Claudia would be so proud of you and Eric." I kissed her cheek and ran my hand through her chestnut hair. She looked so much like her mother and her aunts.

Lissy and Rose touched the dress giggling together. I couldn't help but grin; their happiness was contagious.

"You came back." Abby's voice whispered behind me. I was struck by her ethereal beauty all over again. Gods, she was elegant. Her auburn hair slid down her back in waves and her creamy complexion was youthful, making her cobalt eyes smolder.

"Of course I did." I took her hand, squeezed it gently, and led her to the back of the house.

"I'm glad you did." Her eyes were grave. "Would you like to visit the girls?"

"Are you sure?" I thought of the makeshift crosses sticking out of the earth in Klaus' yard. My stomach tightened uneasily.

"Please, Gabby."

I took her arm in mine and quietly made our way to her father's gardens. We passed the familiar bench and continued until we came to the place where her sisters were buried. I let go of Abby and wrapped my arms around myself. The strong wind whipped my braided hair over my shoulder and made my eyes teary. I couldn't shake the nervous feeling in my stomach.

"How long have you known that you're going to die soon?" The words spilled from my mouth with no reservation. The darkness creeping down my spine was so faint I almost didn't notice it, but sadly, it was there.