Chapter Thirteen

February 2013

It's been one month since I was brought to Alexios' realm. I dare say...I dare say that I am starting to remember what it feels to be happy again. It's so strange to feel this way and I owe all of it to Alex. He has been so gracious and patient with me, even when I did not deserve it. He has become a dear friend to me. Lucifer's tainted cloud that blanketed me was no more. I didn't belong to him anymore and neither did my broken heart. My heart, which had felt so impossibly damaged, was carefully guarded in Alexios' protective hands.

I never thought the life I now led would bring me as much joy as it did. It's very mundane and simple in nature, but it's healed the darkest parts of my soul. I spend my days sewing, embroidering, cooking, teaching, hunting, and immersing myself in fae life. My mornings started early in the snowy forests hunting with Alex and his fae. In the late morning, I helped cook and clean for his people. In the afternoon, I spent my time selling crafts for vendors by the well or I taught ancient Atlantean history to the young fae. Teaching soothed the painful memories I had by answering innocent questions and explaining the extreme magnificence of our once home. To the children, Atlantis was a romantic fairytale that the elder fae in their lives couldn't speak of. I ended my days in the tavern sewing clothing for the poor and enjoying a goblet of mead. As you see, my life wasn't anything glamorous by a long shot, but I was unquestionably happy.

That afternoon I was standing behind a wooden booth trying to sell armor, weapons, and leather. A few knives and metal gauntlets were placed neatly on the counter. It was a busy day being that news from earth had quickly spread throughout the deities realms. Lucifer was sparking trouble in the human world, creating mistrust and strife between countries and world leaders. The end times would be amongst us soon enough and I was itching to go to war with an evil being that deserved to be exterminated.

It was lunch time and the only busy stands were those selling fresh meats and produce. There was a group of elven children gathering water at the well giggling and gesturing at me. I frowned and decided to avoid their curious gazes. That's odd.

"Oh don't mind them." A pale blonde elven woman smiled at me. She occupied the jewelry stand to my left. Her friend who sold potions and natural remedies on my right was nodding in agreement. Her hair was as silver as my eyes but her face seemed younger than mine!

"Why are they staring at me? Is it because I'm an angel?" I asked. I knew my skin was dewy and had a soft glow that revealed my angelic nature, but I had toned it down while around anyone other than Alex or other angels.

They both chuckled and shook their heads. The silver haired one answered my question, "They're admiring our God's 'princess'."

"Princess? I'm not his princess." I gripped the counter so hard my knuckles turned white.

The blonde one grinned coyly. "His consort then? What else are we to call Alexios' romantic companion?"

"His what?" My eyes widened. "Alex and I are just really good friends."

"Yet you call our God by 'Alex'?" The silver haired woman smirked. I could sense the trickery motives all around her.

"And the way he looks at you and you at him, it isn't platonic, my dear."

"I wish someone looked at me that way." They conversed now.

"Especially in time for the human Valentine's Day, it is tomorrow, you know? I'd love a new pair of snow boots or perhaps this amethyst necklace I've been trying to sell for weeks."