Chapter Four

It seemed like Alduin had made a decision. The next morning I awoke to him sitting beside me, staring at me most curiously. As my lashes swept upwards, his face was the first thing my hazy eyes saw. Such an enchanting face was nice to wake up to. He really was beautiful.

He leaned forward and brushed my cheek with the back of his fingers. A chill rushed over me, tickling my skin. The freezing cold yet stifling hot sensation that kept washing over my body was strange to me and completely foreign. I longed to lean in to his touch and close my eyes. I dared to absorb every second of how his skin felt upon mine. It was unlike any other moment before this one.

"What was that?" My voice was dry. Cael and Klaus were nowhere to be seen. I sensed them somewhere in the field within the large group of soldiers. They paid us no mind.

"Temptation. Desire. Emotion." His eyes were no longer light lilac, but deep dark purple that I felt myself drowning in. They were eyes that seared mine. My stomach was a wreck with a nervous flitting sensation.

"You mean lust?" I exhaled the breath I had been apparently withholding.

"You say lust with disdain." He noted. "It's just another human emotion you clearly have."

"But is that all this is? Lust?" I pulled my torso away from him and bit my lip.

He laughed lightly and his lips quirked as he studied my face.

"What is so funny about my question?" I yanked the blanket off my body and rose to my feet. I folded the blanket and tossed it on the ground. My arms found their way over my chest.

"You're just so human. In the future, your question will be one that women everywhere will be asking their partners."

I sighed and gave him an irritated look.

"Fine, want to know the truth?" He stood before me and tipped my chin toward him.

"I prefer the truth, although we both know you're not eager to give it." I was referring to me being the first angel.

He ignored my comment and said something that surprised me, "If this was lust and if the physical was all I wanted from you, I would already have that by now, and you wouldn't be standing before me."

I smirked at his blatant cockiness, "Is that so? You would already have what you want from me?"

He closed the space between us. His nose was inches from mine. My breathing hitched unevenly and my heart sped in result. "Yes. I would." His lips hovered dangerously close to mine. "If that's all I wanted."

"There's more than just kissing isn't there?" My voice sounded husky.

A light blush colored his face. "Yes." He murmured.

"It must be serious for you to blush like that."

The grin taking over his face gave me the answer I sought.

"Am I interrupting?" Klaus had an incredulous look on his handsome face. There was barely any space between Alduin and I. We jumped apart, making the guilt settling in the air even more apparent.

"No, I was coaching Gabriela on her next mission." Alduin's face was absent of emotion. He seemed believable.

"Where would that be?" Klaus was walking on thin ice, challenging our God like that. I nearly took a step back just in case Alduin exploded little shards of himself everywhere.