Chapter Eighteen

Alexios' Realm

It was a fortnight before the planned sleepover party that was girls only. Cassie, Maya's mom, was all too excited to design pink frilly invitations and send them out to any female the Siren Queens knew. Apparently Dahlia had even received an invitation, although everyone doubted she would make an appearance. This party catered to the teenage girl still residing in the Siren Queens who were now forced to grow up to be the saviors of the world. That meant makeup makeovers, gossiping, junk food, pajamas, board games, and romance movies. Although I had never been to such a party before, I was eerily excited for it. It was sort of like the last innocent party before the world went to shit.

My bags were all packed and ready to go beside my door. I looped my fingers through my jean pockets and strolled through the long hallways of Alex's great castle. I followed the loud music and laughter until I found its source. There was a holiday celebration in one of the impressive ballrooms of his castle. His fae were drunk from wine and dancing. I skipped through a few faery rings until I came to his throne that was seated on a raised section of the floor. He wore his usual leather and fur and his long hair was wild and untamed around his face. His soulful eyes were filled with love as he saw me. I couldn't help but blush and demurely smile at him.

He pulled me into his lap and assessed my clothing with a wicked light in his eyes. "I rather like these modern clothes you're wearing. They're so form fitting."

I gasped and feigned surprise, "You pervy man!"

Alex chuckled low in his throat and planted a hot kiss on my mouth. His arms slipped around my waist and held me securely to him. I missed the days when things weren't complicated. I longed to hunt in his forests and sit upon the grassy fields and meditate with him. Alas, those things were no more. I had to keep myself well-guarded in case Alex's self-aware eyes saw right through me. Now that I had unlocked my own self-awareness I never had to live with that feeling of not being connected like fae are supposed to be. But it also meant I felt deeper connected to Alex and I felt his love for me daily.

"I only tease you, little bird." He stroked my cheek and trailed kisses on my jaw. My skin tingled with electricity and my stomach flitted anxiously.

"I know, Alex." I rested my head on his shoulder and squeezed his hand. I loved Alex so much, and his realm. Being there with him was like being home. I couldn't imagine being anywhere else. It just felt so right...and yet...

He kissed the top of my head. "The gossiping girls have been asking for their 'princess' all day. You should go oblige them."

I groaned. "Stop teasing me or I might become like them." I scanned the mass of people. I spotted the group of eleven women engaged in an old traditional human dance. Some people were dancing, others were drinking and conversing, and many were seated at the rows of long tables feasting on fae food.

I left Alex's comfortable safe lap to greet the fae as was expected of me. I didn't mind because many of them had become like family to me. They said hello as I passed by them. I deliberately ignored the girls I sold crafts with.

"Gabby." A voice whispered my name near my ear. I spun around but frowned when I didn't see anyone I recognized. For some reason goose bumps rose on my skin. I gulped and turned the other way, deciding to join Alex on his throne. Then a hand gently touched my arm. I whipped behind me quicker that time and was face to face with Alduin. He wore a dark cloak over his head that almost obscured his face. There wasn't even a hint of his Godhood and his features were toned down. They weren't as lovely or as perfect as they actually were. And his skin wasn't faintly glowing like it normally did.