Chapter Twenty

On the other side of the portal, we found ourselves in a different country. It was cold and snowy and I didn't care to stick around to find out exactly where we had ended up. Since I didn't have the energy to teleport, Cael and Loren took care of that for us. In a flash, I was standing at the elegant front steps to Loren's castle. I fell to my knees and started kissing the stone. John Ethan and Lucy fell beside me, repeatedly thanking me for getting them out of there.

"Mom! Dad!" Phina cried. She dashed down the stairs and nearly barreled into us. Maya was close behind her.

"Phina, listen, I need to tell you something." John Ethan tried to tell her but the Dark Queen was too excited. She hugged them as gently as she could and cried happily over their return.

"Alduin saved us." Lucy smiled weakly. "He risked his life to break us out of the cages and sneak us to the portals. And those brave men back there hiding were coming in after us." She gestured to the four deities and Klaus.

"Oh Alduin, I don't know what to say." Phina hiccupped as she cried. She roughly embraced me and rained kisses on my cheeks.

"Phina, I hate to do this but you have to know." My somber words shushed the happiness.

"I have to know what?" Her worried eyes searched mine.

John Ethan tried to speak but I realized these words would never leave his lips and I didn't want it to randomly happen. It would break her heart even more if we lied and told her nothing bad could happen to them.

"Your parents are still bound by the Atlantean life cuffs. Someone has the power to control your parents, hurt them, call them back, and even kill them. Only the person who's in possession of their cuffs can release them from it. Your parents can't be more than a few feet away from each otherwise they will..." I explained, swallowing the lump in my throat. I couldn't continue.

"So they're not really safe?" Her happy tears turned to sadness and utter agony.

"I tried to buy you as much time as I could, but once they realize that your parents are gone I don't know what they'll do to them. I just didn't want to lie to you because the worst very well could happen. Lucifer was using them for some master plan, and knowing him that's not good. I'm so sorry." I closed my eyes and hung my head in defeat.

"Thank you, Alduin." Phina's voice was but a whisper. "I'll cherish every stolen moment with them." She kissed my cheek again and rose to her feet. Maya and Phaedra were at her side to help the Rooks inside the castle. I had a feeling their injuries could be easily healed by an angel. Lucifer had wanted them alive after all.

Cael touched my cheek by the gash and whistled, "Damn, its deep, brother. I think you won't be pretty anymore."

"You're lucky I'm not at full capacity otherwise I'd kick your ass." I grinned tiredly.

"I cannot begin to thank you enough. I just...thank you." Cael's face grew serious.

"They're everyone's parents, Cael. I couldn't just leave them there." I replied and stared at the ragtag group of men who had come to bust us out. "I'm surprised you came along for the ride." I stared confusingly at Alexios. There was a glimmer of respect shining in his clear hazel eyes.

"You know, I was going to deck you once we rescued you, but now after seeing you all torn up like this I don't think I will." Alexios smirked.

"So you know?" I moved back a few spaces in case he changed his mind about hitting me.

Draco and Klaus exchanged nervous gazes.