Chapter 4

Katniss's POV

The aching of my head was nothing compared to the bulging throb arising from my stomach. I sat up; as fast as I could before a large burst of cold air lurched at me from above the covers. A decent chill rang up the chords of my muscles to the open wind of my mouth and before I could stop myself I let out a huge wail.

It went on for only a second before my mouth shut itself and the world only managed to spin once before someone caught me from spinning out of control. The familiar scent of flowers tingled up my nose and my head rested hard onto the shoulder which had engulfed me. It was Peeta.

Nothing came out of me; no sound or cry or even a breath it seemed, all I knew was that Peeta was here and it would be fine as long as we were together.

"Katniss," the deep ruffle of his voice came from my neck, his words tingling my skin at the touch. I felt such relief in waking in Peeta's arms that nothing seemed to compare otherwise. A sigh, or should I say, sob, cleared my throat.

"Peeta, thank god-"

He kissed me. At first I was taken aback, but then I found myself falling into it all. The deep rise and fall of his chest moved near mine and his fingers found my hands; holding me near him as I sobbed lightly into our kiss. There was the relief that had somewhat burned in the back of my throat, and I knew as long as I had Peeta I would be fine...or as close as I can get to being fine.

I wished I could stay here forever; recoiled here in this train car with Peeta, never having to face home and all the years to come...

A sharp sound of a throat being cleared rose from behind us, and I shot back; fingers clenched and it was Peeta who held me back from tackling Haymitch in the doorway. It was the dark reality of horror that would haunt me forever. I knew I could run as far away from the games as I wanted, but after learning that Haymitch slept through the day with a knife clutched surely in his hand and drank his sorrows away, I knew that the small burning feeling of paranoid would just grow and grow until I died. I wouldn't escape the games, and I knew I had to be careful. 

Peeta's hands held me back, and Haymitch suddenly became stiff. There was no smile or gleam in his eyes as he turned to look at the carpet. He understood why I'd leaped and I understood why he faced the ground.

"We arrive in the district in four hours," Haymitch spoke his words slurring together. Katniss, they'll be here in five minutes to dress you and whatever." He turned to look at Peeta, "And you boy, are coming with me." Haymitch rolled around on his heel just as he was about to open the door to leave. "Save that for the cameras." He simply whispered before disappearing.

I knew what he meant but I didn't want to. As confused as I was, I knew that Peeta was mine and with him I would be okay. With him I felt free and safe and a feeling of some sort mixed underneath my skin, near my heart that I couldn't yet put a finger on.

"He's right," I whispered. Peeta looked disappointed but I must've said it wrong. My hand reached over for his, and his eyes followed back up to mine. His hair was lush and curled softly over his forehead; so innocent and yet so strong. Ever since the games ended, I've noticed that the same flickering light of softness in his eyes hadn't been wiped away, not yet at least. I was determined to keep it that way.

My voice was strong now, "He's right about me getting ready, although I don't want to." My smile mirrored up to Peeta's. "I've witnessed more waxing than I should in a lifetime," I laughed, and Peeta smiled back. Not only was it with the curves of his lips, but the edges of his eyes held a sort of content that sent chills throughout my body.

"Just think, when this is over though, we'll be all to ourselves," he moved closer. "No Capitol, no Effie, no styling just you and me and," he froze for a second, "And Christmas," the gleam in his eyes was like a kid in a candy shop. It held a radiance of its own and I felt myself melt into his heart. It was a reminder that when I got home, this winter would be just for myself; an occasion without worry or death one with Prim, my mother, Gale and Peeta, and possibly Haymitch.