Chapter 5

Katniss's POV

I never thought I'd see this place again; but in a way, I saw it differently than in ways I'd seen it before.

I saw her. Up ahead, the faint figure of her quaint body and light blonde hair. I watched as the front of her white shirt was tucked neatly behind her navy skirt, but even from here I knew she'd mistakenly forgotten to tuck it in on her backside. I watched as the gentle wisps of her tears trickled down her cheeks, and suddenly I remembered the warmth her body brought mine. Over the tears was a delicate smile, and I dreamed to hold her until the world ended.

I dropped Peeta's hand as fast as my mind could function; all I could think about was reaching her. I couldn't register my own breaths, I felt like they'd been knocked out of my body by now and I stumbled over my feet pushing back the bodies which held themselves in my way. The faint beating of my heart turned into an overpowering clacking sound just as I saw her move closer. She shoved her way through the threads of people screaming and applauding, laughing and crying, as I made myself push more and more into the beyond.

Then she fell into my grasp.

"Prim," I sobbed, holding her tighter against me than I ever had before. "Prim, Prim, Prim." I wanted to say her name a million times, but I suddenly realized I had lost my breath. So instead we just stood their; enveloped in each other's arms, the crowds gathering around us as I sobbed out each breath of wind.

"You're home," I pulled away, resting my forehead right on hers as her voice cracked, sounding almost dazed over the beating of my heart.

"I promised, didn't I?" I brushed the tear off my cheek, repelling it to the ground as I watched those brilliant blue eyes over mine. "And I kept my promise, for you, Little Duck."

I felt a small tap on my shoulder, and just as I stood up, more arms had taken me in. It was the light smell of coals and daisies; the familiar scent of her that made me want to cry even more as she finally held me. It was my mother.

"Katniss," she whispered, and my tears followed.

I wanted to say everything in my mind; but I knew it was impossible. my head swirled with thoughts as I tried to comprehend the warm feeling of my mother holding me. The crowds around us seemed to fall silent and it was that moment I knew I had to try; I had to stand by my mother no matter what.

"I love you," I whispered back.

"I love you,' Peeta whispered, his voice ruffling my hair.

I held onto him as we danced; my sister nearby. Overhead, the stars flickered in the crisp night sky. Sounds of giggles and happiness clouded the Town Square, pulling me to the peaceful vibes which ran through my bones.

Peeta's hands fell down over my waist, his blue coat draped over my torso. District Twelve hadn't been this happy in a while, and neither had I. My fingers wound themselves overtop Peeta's neck, as we drifted into the songs played by the old folk band from District Twelve.

The night was gorgeous, and I was happy; relaxed and at ease, with Peeta clutching onto me. There was no response for me to reply; no 'I love you' but I knew it would come eventually, I just couldn't have the words form across my lips to anyone but my family so naturally.

I shifted my head so that it rested on Peeta's shoulder, the light beating of our hearts colliding beneath our chests. In the background the music played:

“Well, I don’t have many, and I don’t have much

In fact, I don’t have any, but I got enough

Cause I know those eyes, and I know that touch

I don’t have many, and I don’t have much