Chapter 26- "Battle Prep" pt 2/2

Petra's POV

I'm standing infront of the training class in my tiger form. I paced around the front. Aatu has taken my spot, and I was in full control.

"When fighting a werecat, the first thing you need to know is that they stalk you." I say, and silently slink into the shadow though my white pelt gives it away. "So it's important to keep a sharp eye out. Watch for any movement. But don't be so focused on the shadows that you don't realize anything that appears infront of you." I say, and pounce back to the front. "It's best to travel in pairs of three." I say. "One is the eyes. They lookout for the group. This wolf is very important. Watch the trees, the grass. Any potentioal hidimg areas. Werecats usually take to the trees, seeing as it gives them cover." I explain. "The second is another pair of eyes. His or her job is to watch as well. But don't just look to the shadows. Looknin the dry grass, almost any large cat has a golden or spotted coat. It helps them blend in with the grass." I say. "And the third is the fighter, the one that keeps his eye in front. He alerts the group of any strange movements ahead." I say. "Bit mostly, look out for ambushes. Tigers and most cats usually ambush their prey from behind. So, watch behind you." I say.

"Okay. So what if we get attacked?" The youngest calls out. "Watch out for three things: paws, claws, and teeth." I say. I open my jaws to shoe my fangs, "You don't want to be caught with these things in your neck" I close my mouth. "Also. Different types of werecats have different aspects of attacking. Lions- the females attack, males stand to make sure the females don't get hurt. They're more for protection." I say. "The lions are heavy and will attack violently. But they're scavengers. They'll go for the one that looks ill and about to drop dead first." I say. "And this goes for all werecats... they search for your weaknesses. Don't show any weak spots." I say, and stand infront of a young male wolf, face infront of his.

He whimpers and lowers his body. I turn around with a flick of my tail. "That's showing weakness. You don't bow down to a cat It gives advantages." I explain.

"Back to cat views... Cheetah- they have small jaws. But they're fast. Wait until they run out of energy to attack them. They can only get a good grip on your muzzle, tail, or leg. Best way to deal with them is with many distractions.

"Leopard- they take to the trees. It's where they take their prey. You're the prey. They attack from above ground usually. But sometimes from below. You usually need to watch out from above your head for them. If they pounce on your back, shake your fur as hard as you can to throw them off you." I say. "Once they're thrown it'll take a bit for them to recover. Take that time to attack.

"Tiger- they're the hardest to attack. Largest of the big cats, they are ambushers. Ambushing from behind, stalkind and looking for weakness. They have one main weakness: speed. Although they may be fast, they're not that fast and don't have much breath. They run out of breath quickly. Not as quickly as a cheetah. But in... around five minutes. Your best bet with a tiger is to outwit her or tier her out." I say.

"And last of the big cats, the mountain lion- they're safty is the trees. So, you'll mainly be looking for signs as you would with a leopard, same goes for a jaguar though they're more skilled and powerful." I say.

"Wow. I never knew werecats could be so confusing." A wolf from the training people woofed. There were a bunch of 'Yeah's and nods of agreement. Aatu smiles. "We're heading to the woods to train with what information Petra has given us." He woofs. "I'll be pairing you up in groups of..." He looks at me. "Five... for the first round." I say. "Okay, then. I'll be sending you out in groups of five." Aatu says. Well, groupsnof six including me. I'll be going with each group... Petra, would you like to head out?" Aatu asks I nod and head out the back door and rum towards the woods. I'm in the woods, and I look for a good tree. I notice a old live oak tree and climb up, and wait on a branch.

I hear a small howl.

The first group is out.

I jump down from the tree as I hear voices of warning come towards me. I sniff around until I find a pile of fox.dung and roll around in it, masking my scent. Then I stand up and stay in the taller grass, watching them. Aatu's with them in his russet and black wolf. I just watch.

My instincts flash first.

I look at the smallest of the group, an easy victim. He walks by Aatu and another wolf. I just watch and follow them with cover from the grass.

I'm not watching and step on a trig. A small snap is heard and I scurry, making swooshing sounds, to get to a tree. I'm in a branch and the wolves surround my branch. Without warning, I jump onto the smaller wolf from above, claws sheathed. The other wolves growl and circle around me. I lash my tail as if I was angry. Now I see that training can be fun! The wolves snapped and growled. I hissed playfully at them. This was fun!

The wolf under me whimpered. I looked at him and placed a bit less weight on him. One wolf snapped in my face. I growled amd roared at her. She cowered in fear. I just laughed and god off the younger wolf and padded towards her as if this were the real deal. Her eyes widened as I rose a paw. "Remember. Paws, teeth, claws. Things to look out for." I nod to the paw. She nods and in a snap second turns her neck and grabs my paw in her jaws lightly. I smile, "Nice job. But with other werecats the claws'll be unsheathed." I say. "It'll hurt if you directly attack the paw. Go for just above the paw instead. I say. She nods and does what I told her.

I think I'm starting to like this training.