Chapter 18

Dragging her feet toward her bedroom Julia listened closely for Charlie to leave and squeal down the street as he sped away. She stopped, paralyzed for a moment in fear and confusion, before grabbing her phone from the coffee table. There was a missed call from one of the Son's burners and a text from Jax.

"Are you okay? I'm sending someone over to check on you."

"Fuck, no," she panicked. Running for the window she saw Opie and another son, whose name she didn't know, walking briskly toward the building.

There was no one immediately visible and she doubted Charlie would have someone camped out so soon after leaving. Even so she already had a lie that kept everyone safe.

"Hey." She swung open the door before they could even knock. "I'm okay, I'm okay. How's Jax?"

"He'll be fine," Opie said darkly. "Went right through his side."

"Jax," she whimpered. "Nero got attacked too, I'm pretty sure he's okay though."

"Jax what's you to come back with us," Sack said.

"I can't," she swallowed hard.

"Not really an option," Opie grumbled.

"Charlie knows," she sighed. "I can't be seen going over there. I gotta figure this out."

"Well," Sack scratched at his scalp anxiously. "You gotta dump him then, don't you?"

"What?" She drew her head back. "No, we'll think of something."

"You're not too bright," Opie pointed to the door. "That's what you tell Charlie if he finds out; we came by to check on you and you used it to go dump him."

"Oh," she laughed. "It's been a long night. I'm not really with it."

Following them to the van, Julia couldn't help her darting eyes and paranoid state.  She was suffocated by the fear not only for herself but for Jax.

When they arrived Chibs was leaning over Jax, working diligently, as smoke billowed up above their heads. Julia pushed by the others and hurried into chapel.

"Jax?" She moved right to his side, next to Gemma, and eagerly kissed him. "I was so scared."

"I'm good." He reached up and stroked her cheek, ticking a few stray strands of hair behind her ear. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, just spooked." Resting her head on his shoulder she saw Wendy out of the corner of her eye holding a sleeping Abel. "We should talk."

"Yeah," he hissed as Chibs worked. "Did anyone come after you."

"Not with bullets," she huffed. "We'll talk about it."

"Why does she get the special treatment?" Gemma mused to no one in particular. "Nero and Jax get shot at and you walk away?"

"Ma," Jax groaned. "Stop."

"Alright Jackie," Chibs sighed. "All patched up." Without warning he poured a good amount of whisky over the wound, from and back, and Jax hissed loudly. "Don't rip em'."

"Yeah, thanks Doc." Jax slowly sat up with Juice's and Opie's help. "Stay tonight," he grabbed Julia's hand.

"I don't know." She looked at Wendy and Gemma. "Are you sure?"

"I'm sure," he whispered. "They don't matter, not when it comes to this."

Helping Jax off the table, Julia moved slowly as they headed toward the apartment with Gemma following behind.

"I changed the sheets, nice and clean, and Tig is going to get you something for the pain."

"I'm fine," he said stoically. "Just give me some weed and whisky."