Underneath-Chapter 15

When I turned on the news this morning, my heart started to sink.

The news team was talking about a heavily-debated subject amongst all school systems.

Should music programs be kept in school or taken out of it?

This subject has been debated on quite a few times so it wasn't unusual that I would be hearing about it, but it was difficult listening to each one as they happened.

I know that if I had not had a music program while going through school, I wouldn't be who I am today.

Theater helped make me who I am today as well, but if a teacher hadn't have taken the time out to teach me rythms, tempos, notes, and everything else that made music what it was, a big chunk of my musical knowledge would be missing and I wouldn't be the artist I am.

Thankfully, there were programs getting put into place to save music classes in schools everywhere in the United States.

I was visiting one today.

It had been some time since I last participated in a program to save music and I thought now was the time to start back up on it.

After all, it only takes one person to make a difference.

I was visting one of the many elementary schools that Los Angeles had with about thirty children.

I had always had a soft spot for children.

Even though I didn't have any plans in the near future to get married and have a family, I still enjoyed being around children.

They had innocence and a life that had yet to deal with the cruelty that waited for them and it made me remember how things were for my childhood, something I  wished I could visit again from time-to-time.

However, I had to grow up eventually and with that, I became stronger.

Once the limousine pulled up to the elementary, I had a warm welcoming party waiting for me to get out.

I smiled.

It was amazing to see that no matter who I was, people always made me feel accepted.

After stepping out, security guards stood on either side of me and several people in the crowd asked for pictures and autographs.

Of course, I gave them what they wanted.

I never wanted to let anyone down.

As I walked down the brightly lit hallways covered in art, I could see several innocent eyes lighting up as they saw me.

I wish I could have stopped and talked to every single one of them, but I had to move with the guards.

However, it didn't stop me from responding to young voices that greeted me.

I got to my assigned classroom and I saw decorative signs written in the children's hands, welcoming me to their cozy room.

"Alright, children, our guest has arrived. Please, welcome, Mr. Adam Lambert!" The teacher exclaimed.

Noises and squeals of joy and delight filled the small space.

"Hey, you guys!" I said to them.

The class period lasted about fifty minutes and during that time, I met so many children that were gifted and talented musical artists.

I saw how each child enjoyed doing their craft so much and how the light of excitement filled each of their young eyes.

By watching them, I couldn't understand why our government, our society would want to take something so beautiful away.

Children already had so many things taken out from under them that could be benefical and now another thing was in danger of being discontinued.

Not to mention, it was something so close to my own heart.

As with every good thing, my visit to the elementary school had to come to an end.

Several of the children didn't want me to leave, but I couldn't stay.

They would understand why once they got older, but for now, this is what had to be.

"Thank you so much for coming, Adam! It means a lot to these children and to us." The principal said to me.

"No problem! If you ever want me to come back and if I have the time, I'll gladly come back." I said to him.

"There will be another time." He responded, smiling.

I smiled back at him.

After a few more words with him, I got back into the limousine and driver headed back towards my house.

"How was it, Adam?" He asked me.

"It was great! I don't understand why music programs are up for debate. I felt so much excitement and happiness in that classroom and it's something that wouldn't be there if they were taken away. It's difficult for me to grasp why our government would want to take something so precious away from the future generations." I replied to him.

"I think a lot of people conflict with that as you do. The only thing we can do is hope that they stay in schools for years and years to come." He said to me.

"Yeah, hope." I looked outside the window at the cloudless, sapphire sky. "That seems like the only thing that can save them now."