Underneath-Chapter 4

When I was a few minutes from Whole Foods, I called Sauli up.

I was wondering if he might have needed something.

"Hello?" Sauli answered in his lively voice.

"Hey, Sauli. I'm about to go into Whole Foods to get some groceries. Do you need anything?" I asked him.

"No, I'm good, but thanks for asking. I was actually about to head out. My mom called up a few minutes ago. She wants to see me." He replied back.

"Alright, make sure you be careful as you drive home, okay?" I asked him.

"I will. I'll see you another time, okay, Adam?" He said to me.

"Alright. Bye."

"Bye."

Our phone lines disconnected.

Once I parked the car, I lifted up my armrest and pulled out a black Sharpie.

I carried one with me everywhere I went because one of my Glamberts could be anywhere and if they wanted an autograph, I wanted to give it to them as soon as they asked. I never wanted to be unprepared when it came to my Glamberts.

After about an hour and a half of signing autographs, taking pictures, and shopping, I was finally in the checkout lane.

It would be some time before I would get up to the register because the shopping market was crowded so I decided to go to a self-checkout lane.

It wasn't much better, but at least it was moving faster.

"Excuse me, sir?" A young woman's voice said.

I turned around and saw a woman who was in her late twenties.

A curious child was latched on to her right leg.

"Yes?" I asked the young woman.

"My daughter is a fan of yours and she would like an autograph, but she's a bit shy." She said. smiling.

The little girl smiled, but continued to hide behind her mother's leg.

I felt my heart melt and glanced behind the two.

Shoppers were getting in line with every passing second and I didn't want to make her wait.

"Okay, give me a minute." I said to the mother.

I signaled the people behind them to go around and they passed by us with thankful smiles.

I wasn't going to turn my back on a mother and her child.

We moved to the side and I placed my basket on the ground and got down on one knee to make myself less intimidating.

"What's your name?" I asked her.

"Abbie." She responded, hiding half her face.

"Abbie? That's a beautiful name!" I said to her.

She turned up the corners of her small lips into a delicate smile.

"Well, Abbie..." I continued on. "If you want an autograph, come get it. Come on, I won't hurt you. I promise I won't."

I smiled gently at her.

She looked up at her mom for some assurance and encouragement.

She nodded at her daughter and then, ever so slightly, Abbie inched forward to meet me.

She handed me a slip of paper that had a drawing of me on it that she did.

I couldn't help but smile as I signed it.

"There you go, Abbie."

I handed the paper back and her jade green eyes lit up with excitement.

"Keep drawing because it looks great!" I said to her with great encouragement.

"Tank you." She said in her childlike voice.

Her mother flashed a smile of thanks at me and then took her small daughter by the hand and left with her.

I stood back up with a touched heart.

She reminded me of why I chose to be a singer.

There were times when I felt like giving up, but children like Abbie kept me going, even if I was exhausted every night I came home.

It warmed my heart and although it took every bit of my being, I wouldn't trade it in for anything.

I was finally able to make it up to the self-checkout and get my groceries together.

After signing a few more autographs in the parking lot, I was finally heading home.

I needed to lay down.

My body was slowly getting drained of what energy was left in it and my form was growing weaker.

I knew it wouldn't be much longer before walking would become more difficult so I needed to get home as soon as possible.

I had dedicated my day to others and now it was time to focus on my health.