One: Safe and Sound

Your pov
     I had been living in Gravity Falls my whole life. My father and I had always had the same sense of adventure and always explored the woods nearby for anomalies. My mother never quite understood our nerdy babbling at the dinner table about our newest discovery. I was in a little bubble of happiness; nothing could hurt me. I was safe and sound, tucked away with a perfect life and a perfect family. Everything was great.

Then it took him away. I don't know what it is that took him, but it definitely wasn't human. Something about those chilling cackles seemed too sinister, too inhumane. Dad and I were in the woods searching for the manotaurs when it came. A yellow flash appeared and the laughter rained down from above. I heard my father yell and I screamed for him to stay safe and get away, ASAP.

"I'll be fine, (N/n). Don't worry about me. You and I'll be safe and sound. We'll be apart, but I'll stay safe as well as you."

I had had a firm grasp on his hand the whole time, and refused to let go. "(N/n), let go. It'll be fine."

"I'm never going to let you go, Dad. I don't want to lose you," I said, tears streaming down my face.

"You'll never lose me. I'll be back. Promise."

Hesitantly, I let go of his hand. Then I heard the scream that would haunt my dreams for the rest of my life. I could barely see my dad, but I saw the burns on his arm. He fell to the ground, blood dripping from his arm and sizzling as it drip-dropped into the grass. I felt like it was my fault for letting him go. That's when and why I vowed to never speak again.

*3*
"(Y/n), what would you like for breakfast?" My mom asked warmly after awakening me from my nightmare. The same nightmare I had every night, the same friendly greeting from Mom every morning. It had become a kind of strange monotony. I had gotten used to it all by now.

I grabbed my notepad and wrote down the word "pancakes" in my horrid penmanship, showed it to her, and plopped back into bed. I knew good and well that there wasn't even the slightest possibility of me going back to sleep, so I just laid there for a while, thinking about how I missed hunting for monsters with Dad.

     After about ten minutes of that, I went outside the house to play with our old collie Lassie. I remember when Dad gave her to me for my third birthday. I'd spent ten years with this dog, Mom and I even brought her with us when we went to live with Grammy last year. She needed all the help she could get when Grandpa Charles died, so she called in my mom and me to live with her for a year.

It was in that time that lots of interesting schist went on back here at home. Dipper and Mabel Pines, Stan Pines's great niece and nephew, had visited and lots of paranormal stuff went down. I really wish we could have been here for that. I hope Dad heard about it, wherever the Hades he is. If he had been here, I'm sure he would've gone off exploring with them, sharing his discoveries with them.

After I caught up with Lassie (we pretty much communicate telepathically), Mom called me in for breakfast. The only problem is that with each plate of food Mom serves, a plate of juicy gossip usually accompanies it, much to my chagrin. I've tried writing her that I detest gossip but I can't seem to get through to her.

"Y'know what I heard? I heard those Pines twins are visitin' again come later this week!" She had such a heavy southern accent, being from Texas. She had met my father by chance one day at her older brother's science fair nationals. I remember her telling me that when she first moved here, people made fun of her accent. I've always loved her accent, though. It makes her unique and I'm a pushover for the unique. "And did you know they're your age?! Maybe they'll be your friends!" Mom knew as well as I did that nobody wanted to be friends with the girl who literally never talked. "You never know, (N/n), there might be some decently kind people left in the world."

Psh! I thought. As if people as cool as the Pines twins would want to be friends with me!

My mom seemed to be able to read the expression on my face like an open book. "They could be nice!" My skeptical expression remained just that-skeptical. "Just introduce yourself!" Then she remembered that I didn't talk. "Maybe with a note..?"

"Mom, nobody wants to talk to a person who only communicates through paper. It's too hard for people. I know to you it may seem ridiculous-redonkulous that I've kept this up, it's just that if Dad had to sacrifice himself to it for me, I should make a sacrifice in return." I wrote in explanation to my mom. "Normal people don't understand this. Nobody understands what I'm going through."

Mom sighed. "Believe me when I say that I do, (Y/n). (D/n) was he love of my life. It's been painful for me without him here. Just...we need to get through it together, okay. We're strong, independent women. We're crazed, sweaty animals! We're not unicorns, we're women!"

"...Mom, you do realize I'm thirteen, right? Technically not a woman quite yet."

"Of course I do!" She exclaimed cheerily. Dang, I swear that woman's bipolar. She'll just go zero to a hundred, real quick. "Just...it's a quote. From one of the teenagers that works at the Mystery Shack. And you are a woman," she insisted.

"Whatever. When did you say those twins would get here, again?"

"Oh, now you care? They got here yesterday! Would you like to go to the Mystery Shack to meet them yourself? I heard they're very friendly children."

I smiled. "I'd love that."

'~'

Dipper's pov
Mabel and I had been given a warm welcome when we came back. Everyone came to say hello, even Pacifica. Pacifica has actually been pretty nice to us, given the circumstances. She told us that her family had found a lovely home in a subdivision nearby and that there were no hard feelings. Of course, that was just her. Her parents could hate us for all we knew.

     Even as everyone was greeting us, though, I couldn't stop thinking about (Y/n). I just had to find her. Hopefully she's safe; it's got to be a hard world out there for a girl who doesn't speak. I could just imagine her going to school and having no one try to make conversation with her. It made me deeply unhappy to have such thoughts.

"Hey Dipper?" Mabel asked on the way to our rooms.

"Yeah?"

"Are you okay? You don't seem that excited to be here."

"No, I'm really excited, it's just... I've got a lot on my mind right now. I'm fine."

"Good, because I was afraid you were scared Bill would be back. And he's not, by the way. You and I'll be safe and sound."

Safe and sound. I wonder if (Y/n) is safe and sound.