Chapter 3

2014

"Noah! No! You've got a visitor." I cringe as Shay calls to me from the living room. The only visitors I get are my brothers and as much as I love them, I'm not sure I'm in the mood for Shay to be fawning all over them and I've got a ton of studying to get through before I start my evening shift at the coffee shop.

Walking into our small lounge it seems even smaller by the large guy standing in the centre of it, a backpack slung over his shoulder. He breaks into a large smile when he sees me and I can't help but smile back. I nod my head in the direction of my room and he follows as I walk there. I close the door once he enters.

"So what are you doing here?" I ask with a raised eyebrow.

"You know how last night I told you I love the quiet but hate being alone. I was wondering if I could study here? Our house is way too crazy to study in."

"You could go to the library."

"And be bothered all the time by people wanting to know about football and all those other stuff."

I know he means girls bothering him all the time but I choose to let it go.

I smile at him. "Sure, as long as you don't disturb me."

I make a space for him on the bed on the opposite end. I can't stop myself from looking him over and find the crease in his forehead when he concentrates insanely irresistible.

"Stop checking me out Noah. It's distracting." He says to me without looking up. I laugh.

"I wasn't checking you out, I was noticing the crease in your forehead when you concentrate, it's cute."

"Yeah and that's not checking me out?" He looks at me and smirks. "And you shouldn't talk, you squeeze your bottom lip between your fingers when you have trouble understanding something and nod to yourself once you get it."

I immediately drop my hand from my mouth.

"You haven't lifted your head once, how did you notice?" I ask amazed.

"I'm observant. And would you still like to argue that you weren't checking me out." I would knock that grin right off his face if he weren't right.

"Fine. It's not like you don't know that you're cute." I get up off the bed and trudge into the kitchen returning minutes later with popcorn and juice. He raises his head and smiles at me when I enter.

"Wanna play a game?"

"Sure what do you have in mind?" I ask my interest piqued.

"For every corn that you throw at me and I catch it with my mouth I get to ask you a question."

"That sounds unfair, what do I get out of the deal."

"After ten questions it's your turn."

"Shouldn't girls get to go first?"

"You're answering so technically you are going first." Comes his smart ass retort. Dammit.

I throw the first corn and he catches it.

"Do you have a boyfriend?"

"No." he raises an eyebrow at my answer but doesn't say anything.

Second corn.

"Are you interested in anyone?"

"No."

"You know when girls say that, they are interested in the person asking."

"Is that a question, because you didn't catch a corn for the answer."

I throw the third expecting that to be his next question.

"How old are you?"

"Eighteen."

Ok, maybe not.

"Do you drink often?"

"Not really, but when I do." I smirk.

"Favourite pastime?"

"Reading and playing Candy Crush."

He laughs at my answer.

"Burgers or pizza?"

"Burgers."

"Ocean or lake?"

"Ocean."

"Salty or sweet?"

"Sweet."

"Chocolate or vanilla?"

"Chocolate."

"Hugs or kisses?"

"Both."

Present

I burst through the door of my apartment and the look on my face is warning enough for none of the girls to ask me a word. I go straight to my bedroom, remove my clothes and crawl under the covers in only Kai's t-shirt. Warm tears start rolling down my cheeks and use my pillow to muffle the sobs racking through my body.

Not five minutes later my door flies open and all I hear is Shay apologising and saying she couldn't stop him. I don't lift my head, my tears continue to fall.

The covers lift and my bed dips. I'm encircled by large arms turning me over and pulling me close. Kai runs his hand through my hair all the while holding me close and whispering that everything's going to be ok. I find myself wanting to believe him.