Chapter 17

Kai's fingers trace patterns on my naked back as I lye next to him. I turn to face him when he places a kiss on my shoulder blade.

"I love you Noah Harlow."

"It's getting late, I think you need to go." I draw the sheets to my chest in a hopeless bid to cover myself. It's not as if he hasn't seen, touched and kissed it all before.

"Hey, what's going on No."

"You manipulate me with sex and the way I feel about you and I fall for it each and every time. Do you know how long I've waited for you to say those words to me. But just because you have doesn't mean I'm going to fall back into your arms and forget everything that's happened."

"Where's this coming from. I don't manipulate you, I just can't stay away from you. "

"Then try harder Kai. You've embarrassed me in front of the entire school, my friends and most importantly my family."

"So that's what this is about. You aren't scared of taking me back. You're scared of what everyone will say?"

"I don't trust you." I whisper resignedly.

"What?" Kai cocks his head to look into my face.

"I don't trust you. I'm scared you'll hurt me again."

I could have slapped him and he wouldn't have looked as hurt as he does right now.

"The last thing I ever want is to hurt you Kai, but I can't help the way I feel. I still feel so much for you which is why I can never say no to you, I can't even bring myself to push you away, and yet I still can't trust you."

Kai uses the pad of his thumb to wipe away the lone tear that escapes.

"Look at what we do to each other. Is this the behaviour of people who love each other?" I ask.

Kai pulls me to him and I bury my face in his hard chest, God this is heaven. He leans back and pulls my body over his not saying a word. He strokes my hair and just holds me.

"Let me stay the night. It's all I ask. One night."

I nod my head, wrap my hand around his neck and bring his lips to mine. I know I should have fought this but there was a time when I also needed one more night.

It's always hard when Kai leaves, especially since this time I had told him to try harder at staying away. I haven't seen him for three days and it's been hell. I haven't seen Demetri either, I couldn't face him knowing he'd just left and I jumped into bed with Kai.

I am seeing him tonight though, at the coffee shop I used to work at. They're having their first open mic night and had asked me to help which I'd declined but I'm still going to support though. The girls are all here and we enjoy a few glasses of wine before leaving the house. It's definitely a success as the place is filling up fast but Demetri has gotten us the best seats right where the performances will be. My heart falls to my stomach when I see the entire football team at the booth opposite us but breathe a sigh which I'm not sure if it's relief or disappointment when I don't see him. The boys all greet me and I smile back in acknowledgement.

"Hey Shay Bae," Clay calls out using my nickname for Shay.

"Honey, football try outs aren't being held here. I knew you were stupid but this is too much."

We all laugh as Shay responds and Clay smirks at her.

"I hope these boys aren't pranking anyone here, I couldn't bear it." I say to the girls.

"Yeah I'm also surprised to see them here, I can't picture any of them having an actual talent."

We all continue laughing and only quieten down once the first act comes to the open space. We clap and cheer as these guys are actually great.

To our surprise Clay walks up with a guitar and sits down. All the football guys whip out their phones turning on their cameras and already I feel sorry for poor Clay.

"I have a friend who's been taking hits too many times to count so when he found the girl of his dreams and messed it up, I think we can safely blame it on a concussion. So here to win back the girl, I'd like to introduce the next act... Kai McKenna."

What... the shit!

"Oh... My... God." I hear one of the girls next to me but can't move when Kai steps up, takes the mic from Clay and smiles at me.

"Noah. I love you... and I'm sorry for not being the man you needed me to be."

Clay begins strumming his guitar and my jaw falls to the ground when Kai starts singing and to say that he's terrible would be putting it mildly yet he's doing this for me.

"You gotta go and get angry at all of my honesty

You know I try but I don't do too well with apologies

I hope I don't run out of time. Could someone call a referee?

'Cause I just need one more shot at forgiveness

I know you know that I made those mistakes maybe once or twice

And by once or twice I mean maybe a couple of hundred times

So let me, oh, let me redeem, oh, redeem, oh, myself tonight

'Cause I just need one more shot, second chances

Yeah

Is it too late now to say sorry?

'Cause I'm missing more than just your body, oh

Is it too late now to say sorry?

Yeah, I know-oh-oh, that I let you down

Is it too late to say I'm sorry now?"

Kai steps closer to our booth and before I can even blink Demetri is up and punches Kai square in the jaw. He stumbles back having not expected that but I'm up and in the middle of them before anything else happens.

"Demetri, what the hell?"

"I couldn't just sit there and watch this." He turns to leave and I signal Shay to go after him.

"Are you ok?" I ask Kai, putting my hand to his jaw having seen firsthand the punch Demetri packs.

"Better now." He smirks.

"I wouldn't be smiling like that if I was you, that was beyond terrible. I didn't even know you liked Justin Bieber?"

"I don't but I figured if I was doing it I might as well go all in. It took me three days to learn that song."

"You know this doesn't mean that I'm taking you back."

"I didn't expect it to be that easy. But it would help knowing it gets a foot in the door."

"It does, but you need to stop."

"Stop what?"

"Stop doing things that make me want to kiss you."

I can't help smiling to myself walking out of the coffee shop, Kai has definitely surprised me.

"Gotta hand it to the guy, he knows how to make you smile." I turn to find Demetri standing against the wall and my smile fades a bit. I had totally forgotten about him. I walk into his arms and hug him tightly.

"I'm so sorry." I don't have to explain, he knows.

"There's no need to apologize to me. C'mon I'll take you home, I have a fight to get to."

"Would you like me to come with you?"

"Not tonight baby girl."

"In that case I'm coming, you'll need someone to drive you home."

I watch as Demetri turns into a beast in the ring and I know that's a different face he's imagining pummeling. He has another fight lined up and guilt consumes me as I know this is what I've done to this boy. I drive home a bruised Demetri and help him into his bed. The least I can do is take care of him tonight and get out my phone to text Shay not to wait up.