Chapter 4

2014

I catch the first popped corn in my mouth laughing as it nearly falls out.

"I can't believe you went ten for ten. This is more difficult than it looks."

"First question, shoot."

"How many girlfriends do you have?"

He narrows his eyes at me before answering.

"None."

"I thought we were being honest?"

"Is that a question because you didn't catch a corn for the answer." He throws my exact words from earlier back at me.

I catch the next one.

"Apart from football, is there anything else you thought of doing with your life?"

"No."

"Favourite pastime?"

"It used to be football but now its popcorn games with you."

I can't help the smile from forming on my lips and I sink my teeth into my bottom lip to attempt at disguising it.

I miss the next two catches.

"How are you missing. I'm a QB, all you need to do is keep your mouth open."

I catch the next one.

"Hugs or kisses?"

"Kisses. Soft sensual kisses."

I'm finding it hard to swallow and completely miss the next one. Actually I never even opened my mouth. I can think of no questions of my own and settle for repeating what he's asked.

"Salty or sweet?"

He leans over to me and puts his mouth at my neck. His tongue darts out and he sucks ever so lightly.

"Sweet." He whispers into my ear.

He throws one at me and it hits me square on the forehead.

"Are you even trying?" he asks me.

"I am, but you... nevermind." I give my head a sound shake and get back into the game.

I make sure to catch the next one.

"First kiss?"

He chuckles lightly.

"I was twelve and it was with Amy Travis at her thirteenth birthday party."

"Siblings?"

"No."

"That explains a lot."

"What was that?"

"Nothing, just throw."

"What are you doing here?"

"Studying."

"Seriously."

He smirks knowing I'd have to waste a question to get a better answer.

"Last kiss?" Ha, take that.

He leans forward again and I can't move as his lips descend onto mine. The kiss is soft and sweet and my lips tingle where his have touched.

"You."

I'm dazed.

I take a corn from the bowl and put it in my mouth.

"Why did you do that?"

"I don't know."

I get up from the bed and go into my bathroom to get ready for work. Kai offers me a ride to work and nothing is mentioned about the kiss. I'm surprised when he parks and climbs from the truck grabbing his backpack and slings it over his shoulder. I meet him at the front of the truck and he puts his hand to my back as we enter the café.

Present

I'm not sure how long I'm lying in Kai's arms for. I must have fallen asleep as well as the sun looks pretty low in the sky from my bedroom window.

"Kai?" my voice sounds way too shaky.

"Mmhmm?"

"What are you still doing here?" my voice is soft, because as much as I want to know, I'm enjoying being in his arms.

"Apparently not chasing after the girl makes you lose her for a long time." I don't say or ask anything else and before I know it my eyes are heavy again.

I awake to a cold and empty bed. Just like my heart.