Chapter 13

Present

I decide on a white cotton dress with lace detail reaching to mid-thigh, denim jacket and brown ankle boots. I pair this with a brown belt cinched around my waist. I've decided to steer away from the black and grey which is my normal attire. A change in life calls for a change in look. After deciding he could do what was required for my first date request, Demetri dropped me off at home and told me I have an hour in which to get ready. Which leads us to where Shay is now curling my hair to light waves and I'm applying make-up. A knock sounds on the door and Shay and I count to ten before making our way to the door. We don't want to seem too eager. I open the door, Shay next to me to find a delicious looking Demetri, fresh from a shower in black jeans, high tops and a grey v necked t-shirt clinging to his body in all the right places. The single white lily he's holding gets ripped from his hand and broken up by Shay.

"We'll pretend you never brought this, okay pretty boy,"

He looks at Shay and the confused expression disappears when Shay looks at him sternly, communicating with her eyes. I can only laugh yet the significance of the flower drags my heartstrings down to settle in my tummy along with the remains of the butterflies left there by a certain someone. Even though they were revived not too long ago, they were lost in the hate of loving Kai. I do hate that I love him. And I do love him, I even told Athena I still did. And here I am, out to my first date and thinking of him.

"Let me get my purse and we can leave," I smile at Demetri.

Going into my room I allow myself five seconds to cry internally like a champ, plaster the sweetest smile on my face and back out. Demetri places the sweetest kiss on my cheek, which only serves to remind me of the way, every time he sees me after not being with me for a while, Kai would kiss me. Even when he fell asleep next to me, waking up, the first thing he would do would be to kiss me.

I exhale sharply and straighten my shoulders. I can do this. Demetri is a gentleman and so sweet. From opening up the car door to letting me choose the movie we watch. After the movie we stroll to the ice cream parlour and he takes my hand and links it through his arms. I'm thankful he doesn't interlock our fingers, I'm not ready for that level of intimacy with him. I order double chocolate and Demetri refuses any, saying that grown men should not eat ice-cream in public which has me laughing. I get some ice-cream on my finger, which Demetri brings to his lips and licks off. He smirks at me, and I laugh as he pulls me into an embrace kissing the top of my head, holding my hand against his chest, a beautiful light smile that reaches his eyes on his face.

Our playful moment is interrupted by the ringing of his phone. He apologises and asks if I'd mind if he answers. The gesture is cute.

"I can't tonight. I'm busy." A pause on his side as the person on the other end of the line continues. He turns his back to me. "I know its easy money but not tonight Tiny."

I tap him on the shoulder and he covers the mouth piece listening to me. "It's ok if you have somewhere to be. You've definitely fulfilled in the date department."

"It's just that a friend has lined up a fight for me without checking in and now finds it hard to understand that I'm refusing." He explains.

I'm quite sure my eyes light up in excitement.

"Is it safe?"

"What do you mean?"

"For me to go. Is it safe?"

"It's as safe as underground fights get, but you should be fine as long as you stay close." A slow smile creeps onto his face.

"Then how about I go with you?" I ask hopeful.