Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Saturday had turned out to be an exceptional day for the girl’s. Their canter across the Ridge had been invigorating and Aunt Jillie had been far too generous with the lunch and shopping. They had agreed not to be too honest with Uncle George about the bill, justified by not wanting to spoil his day. When they bundled through the front door dripping with shopping bags they went straight upstairs to hide the evidence.

Ben had spent the morning at cricket practice with his mates under Rob sir’s instruction. They had set up a game on the school ground to give them as true a match scenario as they could. Ben discussed fielding positions and tactics with Rob and soon had a good grasp of the theory behind cricket. Ben’s technical ability and strength was already well in advance of his colleagues due to his special advantages. He had to rein in his talents so as not to appear too superior and instead concentrated his efforts on bringing out the best in his team. At the end of the practice session Ben managed to get some one on one time with Rob. He explained to him everything that had happened to them so far and was not surprised when Rob already appeared to know most of it.

Ben wondered if May had already given Rob a full brief. If so, then she must have accessed both his and Elizabeth’s minds to do so. That was something that they needed to consider further.

“So what do you plan to do next then Ben?” Rob cocked his eyebrow in the inquisitive.

“We’ll go and see May again today, if Aunt and Uncle leave the house that is.”

Ben accidentally cocked a sideways glance mimicking Rob’s mannerism. It was infectious and hard not to do so. Ben hoped that Rob hadn’t noticed.

“We have a lot to tell her and we need advice and training on how to get the most out of our new skills. But more than this we need a plan Rob. Lizzie and I agree that if we don’t take the fight to the Shadows, they will just pick us off when the time is right for them.”

Corporal Warner was impressed with the maturity of what he was hearing.

“There’s a soldier in you Ben and Lizzie too I would guess. The best form of defence is often attack and you’re right to take the initiative.” Rob was nodding his approval “It will unbalance them and force them to use their lines of command, something that’s very weak with the Shadows. By nature they are lone hunters and there’s too much rivalry between them to unite effectively.”

Rob could see the difference that had come over Ben in only a few days. May had told him that it would happen and he was ready to consult and trust the young man in front of him.

“Is there anything I can do to help?”

Ben’s answer was authoritative, as if he had been used to giving out instructions.

“I want you to find out where Katya came from and where she is now. When you know that I want you to follow Mrs Hyde and see if she casts a shadow. Elizabeth suspects that she is our enemy.”

“OK Ben, consider it done.”

They were already friends and shook hands before going their separate ways.

------------------------------------------------------------------

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

VOTE and COMMENT please if you like it (You need to create your own logon first). The faster it gets read and new readers come, then the faster I will up-load new chapters. Please send the link to your friends!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx