Chapter 6: Lessons

"Doh Re Mi Fa." Christine sang.

"Good, a little higher. Don't forget to breath."

"Doh." I sang hitting the note on the piano as well.

"Doh." Christine matched up with me.

We have been practicing everyday for about a week. I should give her a break for a few days, so her voice can rest. I don't know how I lived without her. She makes me smile. She brings light to the darkness that fills me.

"Angel?"

"Yes?"

"What am I to do when Carlotta gets better? I would be practicing for nothing."

"Don't say that. I know Daroga will think of something. You have a beautiful voice and soon it will be magical." I'll make sure of it.

Christine smiled, "Really?"

"Yes." Or have me bound to hell even deeper.

"Your so kind Angel." I couldn't help, but smile. Why couldn't my parents see what she sees?

"You may take a leave tomorrow. Save your voice."

"But my Angel-."

"No, I mean it Ms. Daaè." I cut her off.
"We will continue Monday. That gives you the weekend for yourself."

"Okay, if you really want me to." I nodded yes.

"It's not like today will be our last time together." Oh goodness that came out strange. "Like I said Your voice is not fully complete."

"Of course." Oh, Christine. "Will you please come to the show Sunday. It's my first performance not singing in the chorus."

"Of course." I grabbed her hand. "I will be there." Lifting her hand I kiss it. What did I just do! I let go of her hand quickly standing from the piano bench.

"I'm sorry. Please forgive me!" Clumsy, my leg tangled with the bench making it fall.

"I'm sorry." I lifted the bench to see Christine was lifting the other end.

"You're forgiven." She spoke as if it didn't even happen.

"I will see you Sunday. Goodnight, Ms. Daaè." I walked toward the door.

"Goodnight."

****

What is wrong with me? Why did I kiss her hand? I was sitting in a chair thinking.

"So, how have the lessons been going?" Daroga said walking into the little house, putting up his hat and coat.

"Good. She's doing good." I didn't realize I spoke in a monotone voice till it was too late

"Is everything alright?" Daroga asked.

"Yes, why wouldn't it?"

"Making sure." Daroga paused, then spoke again, "She told you she's singing right?"

"Yes." Silence fell over us. Daroga walked over to the table rubbishing through some paper work.

"You haven't shown her your face right?" I could feel a tone in his voice I disliked.

"It depends on which one you mean."

"Who did you say you are?"

"I told her I am a friend of yours and I want to stay anonymous."

"And the mask?"

"It's the way to stay anonymous."

"She has seen you!?" Daroga walked over to me making me get up from my chair.

"Yes! She has! How am I supposed to hide from her when I have to play the piano?And-" She treats me like a person. I stopped realizing that wouldn't be the best thing to say in front of Daroga.

Daroga's facial expression changed in which he calmly turned around sitting down in his chair. "I'm sorry. I didn't think." Daroga spoke.

"It's alright."

Daroga stretched out his arm to me luring me to his side. I kneel down next to him.

"I only worry about you."

"I know." I placed my hands on his hands. I could never stay mad at him he's my best friend, my father. Daroga smiled gently standing as to realize something.

"I'm going to bed. Night, Erik."

"Night."

UPDATED: JULY 12, 2016