Chapter 9: Carlotta

I woke to a crash. What on earth? I jump out of my bed. Turning the corner I see Daroga on a chair reaching the tall levels of the bookshelf.

"I'm sorry Erik, I didn't mean to wake you." He sounded frantic.

"No problem." On a table next to him was a stack of papers. They looked to be music and scripts.

"Carlotta is better and she wants to perform. But she doesn't want to perform any of the plays I had planned for the season." Daroga said flipping through pages of stacks.

"So you're looking for something she'll like?"

"Yes." Ugh.

"What have you found so far?"

"There in that stack there." Daroga pointed with a single finger toward the stack that caught my eye earlier. I walk over to the papers picking up the top one.

"Cleopatra? Do you want to kill us with even more of her ego." I laughed, flopping the script down next to the original stack. I lifted a few skipping thru them.

"What about this?" Daroga jumped off the chair handing me the packet.

"Monticello?" I paused, No no. Not Carlotta. "No."

"Why not?"

"No. Please. Anything but that one!" I remember the day like it was yesterday hearing Christine sing 'Le Beauty'

"Maybe another time?" Daroga questioned softly.

"Yes."

After hours of searching creating two large stacks Carlotta was pleased. She chose 'The Countess'.

*****
After a tiring day Daroga came down. I was at my organ adding notes to my 'Don Juan Triumphant'.

"I see now why many dislike Ms. Carlotta." Daroga said sitting in his usual chair.

I turned facing him, "Oh, finally. We have all been waiting for you to notice. Please tell me, how you know for sure now."

"You know I'm not fond of her voice and her personality." True to that!

"I saw her being rude to Ms.Daaè." What?

"What happened?" I almost jumped to my feet wanting to race up to Carlotta's dressing room and, and- . I don't know what I would do? The ballet girls say I've killed, but I've never killed a single soul.

"Well Ms. Daaè was introducing herself when Carlotta snapped at her.

'I never had the chance to properly introduce myself. Hello I'm Christine Daaè.'

'Tia! Who is this girl?'

'Madame I think she is a new ballet girl.'

'No, I'm actually-'

Carlotta cut her off, 'Excuse me?! I'm I addressing you?! No!' Carlotta stopped walking away."

"She does that with everyone."

"Really?"

"Yes, maybe you noticed for once since Christine is gentle hearted."

"Probably."

"What will you do?"

"What can I do? I can't fire Carlotta. She and her mother would have my head."

Hmm. I can think of something. I'll sleep on it.

UPDATED: JULY 12, 2016