Chapter 3

Rose wakes up to a buzzing sound. She sits up and sees Dr. Johnson standing in the doorway. "Good to see you up Rose. Follow me, we've got work to do." Rose gets up and walks with Dr. Johnson. "So Doctor what am I doing today?" "Well I don't know about the whole day but first you are meeting with SCP-049, the plague doctor." "Why?" Johnson glances back at Rose. "He was an old friend of your father." A look of worry crosses Rose's face. "I don't know how he found out you were here but he requested to see you immediately." Roses worry deepened when Johnson said that. They walked the rest of the way in silence, getting on an elevator that took them far below ground. Once it stopped they got off and headed down several hallways with lots of twist and turns until finally they were in front of 049s cell. "Here we are I'll be standing out here. Whenever you are done talking just knock on the door." The doctor unlocked the cell and Rose hurried in. The door slammed with a shut and Rose looked down the small cell to see a man wearing a long black cloak with a hood and a white Black Plague doctors mask sitting his back against the wall. They stood in silence for a few moments before Rose asked "Um you wanted to see me?" The doctor stood up "Yes I believe I did." He walked toward Rose and began circling around her. "My you are a spitting image of your father. No wonder I could sense you so easily and your abilities are coming in. Impressive." Rose could feel heat rising to her cheeks but chose to ignore it. "You knew my father?" "Yes. Your father and I were friends before we were both contained and the foundation let us talk during his time here. Say how is he doing?" "I don't know. He left after I was born. He never told my mom why but now I'm starting to figure it out." "Of course your father always hated it here. Hated how these humans thought they knew how to help these creatures but I'd never expected he'd fall for a human and start a family." Rose didn't speak. She didn't know what to say. Suddenly she felt a hand around her throat but it wasn't choking her. She looked at the doctor and felt his confusion then he laughed and remove his hand. "What's so funny?" "My touch is lethal to normal humans but it looks like you inherited your father's abilities." Rose's eyes widen and her heart races. "Yes child they will definitely make you take your father's place here." Rose stares at the ground unsure of what to say finally she speaks up. "What was my father like?" The doctor stood in silence for a moment then put his arms behind his back and began pacing. "He was...a very interesting man. From what he told me he never knew his parents and was raised in an orphanage. When he hit adolescence his hair and eyes changed much like yours is now. When the owners of the orphanage, a man and his wife, found out then pretended to not be frightened. The next day the husband took Magnus out for a...special treat and left him in the middle of the forest far away from civilization. Then while I was looking for a cure for the pestilence I found him cold, half starved, afraid. He wasn't frightened by me and I didn't feel the need to kill him. Instead I took him and gave him shelter, food and safety." "How long was he in those woods?" The doctor looked at the ground "10 years." Rose's eyes widened. "How?" "That's what I said but remember your father is not human. It is possible that he can't die easily." "Oh I should've figured." "Yes but anyways after I saved your father he joined me on my travels. We became good companions; he even donned a cloak like mine. Then we were found by the foundation and we both came into their custody freely. We had stayed they a long time. Your father becoming the doctor's favorite until one day he had enough." The doctor stopped pacing and looked at the floor. Rose could feel sadness radiating from him. "He told me he was escaping that he was tired of the foundations cruelty but he never told me what he saw that made him want to escape." He resumed pacing. "After that I never saw him again. I overheard the doctors say he fulfilled his wish." The doctor had his back to Rose and Rose reached an arm out to him but then she heard knocking at the door. "I guess that means I have to go." "Please do come back any time. My cell is always opened for you." Rose nodded and turned to the door. She knocked and the door opened. She took one last look at the doctor before walking out the door. Once the door closed the doctor returned to his thoughts.