Ch. 20 - Monsters, senseis and goodbyes

I was hugging my legs and my head was hidden somewhere between my knees. I was still on my bed in the hospital and Sakura was sitting on it next to me while Naruto and Kiba already left. My pink eyes were emptily staring in to space. 

All three of the Sound ninjas, Sumiko, Mei and Kaito passed to the next exam. I heard that Sumiko got in to an epic genjutsu battle with Tsubaki. Sakura, Kiba and Naruto told me that they didn't even hit each other during the fight. They said that they were just standing in front of each other, staring in to each other's eyes, performing handseals and stuff like that. At the end Tsubaki lost because Sumiko sang some kind of weird tone that made her go crazy from fear or something like that.  

Another interesting fight that I missed were Sasuke against Ren. They told me that at first they began throwing fire release jutsus at each other and that Ren had a little advantage because he also knew some powerful Lighting release techniques. But then Sasuke activated his Sharingan and used his Cursed mark. At first I had no idea what the second one was but Sakura told me that she was going to explain it to me after Naruto and Kiba'll leave.  

I was pretty disappointed when I heard that neither one of Madoka's team passed the exams. Ryo apparently didn't make it in a fight against a member of the other Sound team, the one that attacked Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura.  

But hearing about Gaara's and Lee's fight shocked me the most. I almost couldn't believe it when Kiba, Naruto and Sakura told me what Gaara did to Lee. I couldn't stop thinking about the way Gaara kept telling me how he was a monster.  

I am Gaara of the Desert... Wherever there's rock, wherever there's earth, I can make more sand... 

I shook my head to chase away the memory of the sad look in his eyes that he got when I made him do the pinky promise. No, Gaara was more than that. He wasn't just a monster... He was... He was my friend. And I behind that shadow that was hanging over him was... The real Gaara. 

I couldn't leave him. No metter what did he do to Lee or what did he think he was. 

So now the ones that were going to take part of the third exam were Naruto, Neji, Gaara, Temari, Kankuro, Sumiko, Sasuke, Kotori, someone from the Sound team, Shino, Shikamaru, Kaito, Mei and me. I couldn't help it but to wonder who I'll have to fight with. Concidering how my luck usually worked I guessed that it'll surely be Sumiko, Mei or Kaito.  

'' Chi... '' Sakura murmured.  

My eyes slowly travelled to her. '' What is it? '' I whispered with a similar sad tone.  

'' You... I know that you're ... friends with Gaara. But... Are you sure you're safe with him? '' Sakura slowly asked, staring at me with her green eyes. '' I just don't want you to end up like Lee... ''

I nodded. '' Don't worry about that, Onee-chan. Gaara-kun wouldn't hurt me. '' Hm... at least I hope. '' Now... Why don't you tell me what happened to you in the Forest of Death? You seem different now. ''  

Sakura lowered her head and sighed. '' I think that you're right. I am different. '' Then she began telling me about what happened. When she first mentioned Orochimaru's name my eyes widened and by the end of her story I was completely in shock.  

'' So Orochimaru wants Sasuke too? '' I asked. There were also other things that shocked me but that was the biggest one. But at least I found out why did Sakura suddenly care about Lee. She never liked him very much because she thought he was weird, had big eyebrows and dressed strangely.

Sakura turned at me and narrowed her eyes. '' What do you mean 'too'? Does he want someone else? ''  

'' I... The other Sound team... They attacked us in the Forest of death. One of them caused this to me. '' I raised my hands, showing her the red and pink burned lines on them. '' They... They said that they have orders to bring me to Orochimaru. ''