Paradiso (tsokober)

** This story is base on Enjelicious' work "Asuna" **

Paradiso

by: tsokober

“All hail King Valefor!”

The kingdom of Kharas is celebrating for the forthcoming triumph of the Elvens against the human race. The booming voices and the loud cheering of the elves can be heard all over the hall of Gizbralle, located at the ice palace of Caramon.

“Long live the Elvens!”

Everyone in the town of Caramon is at their festive mood. Only one doesn’t look happy at all, and she is Princess Ethne. She is sitting beside King Valefor and Queen Alhanna at the Thrones of the Royal, gazing down at their people.

“What’s with the long face, dearie?” asked Queen Alhanna,

“I don’t get it,” Princess Ethne replied without facing her mother.

“What is it?” the Queen asked her again.

“Why do we need to fight the humans?” she answered, still staring at the distance.

“It’s for power, my beloved daughter,” her father, the King, stated proudly. “You see, we are the most powerful race now. We are close to victory against humans!” he said, spreading his arms as if emphasizing the vast land they now own.

“All this war… all this war for power?” Ethne exclaimed.

“Stop talking to me like that!” his father commanded.

“My brother died in vain!  Many people died in vain just because of your greediness of power!”

“Greediness? I want to save the kingdom! Is that greediness for you?”

“Saving the kingdom? Or saving yourself?” she answered back.

“Enough, Ethne! You are such an ingrate!” her father commanded, He stood infront of her, his hand poised for a slap, but her mother stopped him.

Ethne ran away from her brother’s murderer. She is afraid of what she can do to his father. Especially when she knew what really happened that night.

“There is no kingdom to defend to, we are the ones who start the war, am I right father?” he said.

“Quiet down! If it wasn’t for me, you won’t be the Prince they are bowing down to now. If it wasn’t for this war, we would be struggling for living like lowly slaves!” King Valefor told him, looking out the window to gaze over his people, his kingdom.

Ymshire sighed.

“Those who are strong live. This is reality.” he added.

The twelve-year old Princess Ethne accidentally overheard the truth, that it was not the other races that started the war. It was her father. It was her very own race.

“The heroes have returned!” Captain Madragora exclaimed. Ethne was excited to see his brother again, to congratulate him for his victory like she always do.

“Captain, where is my brother?” she asked, pulling Captain Madragora’s hand to get for attention.

Captain Madragora’s expression suddenly turned grim. Ethne tried her best to control her emotions and failed. Right before her eyes, she saw the beheaded corpse of her brother as the foot soldiers drag the cart that contained his remains.

“B-brother!” she cried.

“I-I apologize, my princess. Guards, keep her away from here!”