The Listener (justmainey)

** This story is base on Enjelicious' work "Asuna" **

The Listener

by: justmainey

The Listener

by: justmainey

I was awakened by a warm hand that slowly caressed my jaw, drove its way to my nose, up to my brows. A peculiar sensation consumed me as the hand traveled my rugged face. 

I heard a deep sigh, followed by a sweet gentle voice continuously saying my name – Kurt. That voice. I tried so hard to open my eyes but to no avail. My body was numb, or so I thought.

"Good bye, Kurt. I–” I heard her whispered as I rested my back on the bed, still unable to move.

"I missed you." And with that, my eyes automatically flew open, as if her final words were some kind of a spell, which caused my senses to come back to its function after a momentary hibernation. 

I immediately eyed the room, but she was nowhere to be found. I sighed and remembered everything that happened.

--x

"I am Asuna."

"Uh yeah, you told me five times already. So Asuna, how may I help you?" I asked patiently on the lady who suddenly grabbed the hem of my shirt while I was on the middle of my walk to the grocery – which is only meters away from my house. At one moment, I thought she was a forgotten acquaintance, but then she whispered, 'Help' – and my very first guess evaporated.

I looked at her and noticed her features. She have this long orange-brownish chestnut hair that flows against her shoulders up to her waist, and gloomy hazel eyes that caused her to appear lost, sad and confuse – all at the same time. Nevertheless, she's beautiful.

I groaned in frustration and furrowed my eyebrows when I realized that she didn't bother answer my question. With losing patience, I told her to follow me to the police station – because police officers might help – but she didn't oblige. Instead, she closed her eyes and raised both hands. 

"Hey, what are you doing?" I asked curiously. 

She flashed a small smile. "Feel the wind. Let it touch you inside and out. Let the warmth of it be felt not only by your skin, but also by your heart. Life's beautiful, too beautiful to be wasted," she stated, her eyes still shut.

Her words, though sweet, were like dagger that stabbed my very soul. No, life was never beautiful

She opened her eyes then looked at me. "I am here to help," she asserted in a serious tone. I stared back, lips twitched. 

"I know everything about you, Kurt – everything," she added. 

I felt something tightened inside my stomach. How did she know my name? 

Her words disturbed and frightened me at the same time, so I pulled her on the arm and led the way to my bungalow house. I wiped my sweat as we reached my small house, while she did nothing but eyed the whole place.

"You're just trying to scare me, right?" I gritted.

She cocked her head on the side before she sat on the couch. "Sometimes, all we needed is someone who would listen. And Kurt Iris Tompkins, I could be that someone. Scratch that, I am that someone," she replied.

I was taken aback by the mere mention of my full name. I opened my mouth to say something, but closed it again.

"Still in doubt? Well, you're twenty years old, a painter, stopped studying since you were ten, a nocturnal, loves seafood, and–"