chapter 2

Killing me Softly

Chapter 2

The next day at lunch, I just went straight towards Roxy's table, sitting in the same spot that I did yesterday. I avoided looking at Tristen or at least tried to avoid looking at Tristen. Ever since that whole run in yesterday I haven't really figured out how I felt about him yet. But I couldn't help looking over at his table and seeing him laughing with his friends. I also couldn't help seeing that he had a nice smile.

I guess I hadn't notice I was gawking at him until Roxy made an unattractive noise beside me.

"Don't even try." Roxy said shaking her head.

I glance back at Tristen then to her. "Excuse me?" I asked.

She turned her full focused on me, turning her body slightly towards me. "Tristen. Don't even try to go there."

I cocked an eyebrow at her. "And why not?" I tried to keep from snapping at her but an edge to my voice crept in. I frowned not knowing where that came from. "Is he your boyfriend?" I asked nicer this time.

"No." she scoffed. "Just pre-warning you. Don't even try to date Tristen." she sneered. She glanced over at him and her eyes narrowed. "He's all nice to you being buddy, buddy. Then when you think he likes you more than a friend and you ask him about it, he 'lets you down easy'. No matter how nice you say it, it still hurts." She paused looking back at me. "That's what Tristen does. He leads the girl on and then when she wants to take the next step, he pretends he had no idea that he was leading you on."

"Don't be bitter, Roxy." Ash said from across the table.

Roxy turned her glare onto Ash. Ash squared her shoulders waiting for Roxy's blow.

"Oh, like Austin didn't do the same to you?" Roxy asked her looking at Austin.

Ash glanced at Tristen's table where Austin was messing with one of the guys, she glanced back at Roxy her exterior breaking. "That was different." She mumbled.

Roxy rolled her eyes leaning back and crossing her arms. "Is that what he told you?"

Ash didn't answer her; she just looked at the table top. I twitched in my seat, feeling like I shouldn't be here and hearing this. I glanced over at Tristen's table and saw Austin frowning at us. He quickly looked away when he saw me starring. I glanced away also.

"You don't have to be such a bitch, Roxy." Lance said.

Roxy didn't even flinch. "What, being honest is being a bitch now? What happened to honesty being the best policy?"

"Not when you know the person's already hurting." Blake said jumping in.

"Whatever." Roxy mumbled brushing invisible lint off her shirt.

I sat back watching Lance and Blake comfort Ash. Something tells me Roxy was one of the girls Tristen 'lead on'. I glance over at Tristen at his table seeing him be care free and messing with his friends, I couldn't picture him leading a girl on. At least I hope he couldn't do that.