Realization

Nialls p.o.v

I didn't realize that Maddie has had such a terrible life. She didn't deserve this. She deserved the childhood that every child dreamed of. While she was packing her things with Louis and I was signing all of the paperwork and talking to Siena at the orphanage, she warned me that Madison hadn't had the easiest of pasts. She said that she was a shy, quiet little character, and it would take her a while to trust new people, but I never expected her to have a background of being abused and raped. I mean, what kind of psycho would do that to a child?! I was going to make sure that I was going to be the person that made her feel safe. The boys and I, we as a family were going to give her the life a child had dreamed of,  I was going to be the one who made her childhood memorable. 

Maddie had left to go upstairs and to unpack her stuff into her bedroom. I think the rest of the boys were equally as shocked at what we had just read. I guess it had never actually dawned on us how terrible some children's childhoods actually are. I mean, the boys and I, we've all had issues growing up, but nothing in comparison to this. In comparison to this, it would seem like we've had the perfect childhood. 

A little while later, Madison came back downstairs and joined us all in the living room. She sat next to me on the sofa and looked up to me and spoke quietly. "You will never hurt me will you?" You could hear the worry in her voice and it was heartbreaking.

"No of course we won't. If anything we will protect you. All of us will."  I reassured her, referring to all of us.

"Harry can you make your really yummy pasta for dinner?" Louis asked. He genuinely sounded like a child begging for his favourite food. Harry nodded and went to the kitchen to begin cooking it. 

"How about we go and get ready for bed? We'll eat dinner, watch some TV, and then get an early night. I'm sure you're exhausted." I spoke. Maddie nodded and we both went upstairs. "I'll just be in my room if you need anything." I smiled, Maddie smiled back and disappeared into her room. 

I went into my room and changed into a hoodie and a pair of shorts. I sat down on my bed grabbing my guitar and began playing. I played a few random notes before practising one of our new songs.

"N-Niall" I saw Maddie poke her head in the door. You could hear the innocence in her voice.

"Hey" I said putting my guitar down by leaning it against the wall and patting the space on my bed next to me to tell her to come here

"Let's go and eat Harry's pasta" I smiled. "What's your favourite food?" I asked her. 

She sat an thought about it for a few seconds before replying. "Mango." 

"Good choice" I smiled. "Mine's pizza." 

We both got up and I followed her down the stairs into the kitchen. The food was beginning to smell amazing. 

 "Harry is the pasta done?" I asked.

"Yes" he replied and we all came to sit at the table. Maddie sat next to Louis and I sat on the opposite side of her. 

"How much do I have to eat?" Maddie asked, looking at me. 

"As much as you can" I replied. She nodded and began to eat. I didn't know what her regular appetite was like. Maddie was a slow eater so we ate a little slower to make her feel more comfortable. 

"I've had enough" she said pushing her plate forward. She had eaten over half of it, and Harry did serve her quite a lot.

"Well done, you've done well" I smiled. We all finished our food and Harry did the washing up.

"What do you want to watch on the TV tonight?" Liam asked, looking at Maddie. "What shows do you like to watch?" 

"Lilo and Stitch?" Maddie asked. 

"I'm sure we can put that on." Liam grinned. 

"Man I havent seen that film in years" Zayn chuckled. 

We all headed into the living room and sat on the sofa's. Once Harry had finished the washing up he appeared in the living room, and he brought extra blankets with him. He passed one to Maddie, she smiled and wrapped herself up in it. 

Liam scrolled through the TV until we found Lilo and Stitch and he put it on. Throughout the film, I glanced at Maddie. A small smile was on her face as she watched the film, there were parts of the film that she could repeat as it came on, she had definitely seen this film more than once that was for sure. 

At the end of the film, I looked at Maddie beside me. She was leaning into my side, she was still awake but she seemed exhausted. 

"Time for bed pumpkin" I said placing my hand on her back. She went to say good night to everyone and then ran up the stairs. I followed her and tucked her into bed.

"Good night sweet heart" I kissed her forehead.

"Please stay" she whispered, looking up at me. I chuckled and sat down on the bed looking out of her window while stroking her soft brown hair. I could tell she was exhausted and I knew it wouldnt be long until she was going to fall asleep. She'd brought her blanket from the sofa up with her, and I had laid it on top of her duvet. 

Soon enough she was fast asleep so I crept outing the room and closed the door behind me, not wanting to wake her up. I grabbed my phone charger from my room and then went downstairs to join the others in the living room. They'd all gone back to playing Fifa and the match had just ended. It looked like Harry had just beat Zayn, and Zayn didn't look too pleased about it. I chuckled and sat down on the sofa, starting to scroll through facebook on my phone.