Maybe

Gabby

"Mm where are you going?" Oh ears Matt mumble as I pulled away from his arms to get out of bed. "I have to get up," I smiled. "It's the weekend, let the kids sleep," he smiled pulling me back into his arms. I smiled as he embraced me and kissed the back of my head. "So, I was thinking maybe I should go back to work?" I whispered unsure of the response I would get. Immediately I knew I had Matts attention as he pulled his head up onto his hand so he was leaning over me. I rolled over and looked into his eyes. "You know, it's been over 3 years since I stopped working. And now Elouise is older I think that's something I'd like." "Wow, I wasn't expecting that," Matt said with a slight smile. "I want you to do what makes you happy Gabs." "I want this to be our decision Matt. What we choose is going to affect the whole family. We would have to organize child care for Ellie and then Chrisitie or Antonio to pick them up while we are on shift. And they'd have to stay with someone." "We managed after you went back after Lucas, we will manage." "It's something I really want to do Matt." "Truck or ambo?" "Wherever I can get a spot, probably ambo." "Why not truck?" "I'm happy on ambo, and I know I'm being negative but I don't like the idea of us having exactly the same job and be going into the same burning buildings at the same time. I can't even imagine what would happen if we lost either you or me, but I can't bare to imagine the kids loosing both of us in the same fire." "You know that will never happen," he whispered kissing my head. "I know, I know. I'd just prefer ambo," I smiled. "Well I'll talk to chief next shift, see if he can get you on ambo at the start of the school year in a couple months. That way Lucas has started school and Ellie can start child care. You make an appointment to do a physical exam and test to be cleared after time off." "You think I'll pass?" I whispered. I honestly wasn't sure. I hadn't been all that active since having Ellie. I was still in good shape but not like I used to be. "Gabs you'll pass with flying colors. Don't stress."

The next thing I knew I felt a smaller body crawl into bed beside me and curl up in my arms after realizing Matt and u must have fallen asleep again after talking. I could feel Matt still pressed up against me from behind with his arm around me. "Good morning sweet girl," I smiled leaning down and kissing Elousies head. "Morning mummy," she smiled sleepily. "How did you sleep?" "Good. Missed daddy at work." "Mummy did too, I like it when daddy is home. We all do." She yawned again and cuddled into me. "What should we do today with daddy?" "Maybe we go to park and lake." "We could go for a walk alone the lake," I smiled.

An hour later we were walking down the path by the lake in the warm air. Ellie sat on Matts shoulder and Lucas walked in between us holding both our hands. "So I have something to tell you," I smiled looking at both of our beautiful kids. "Mummy and daddy were thinking maybe it's time I went back to work at the firehouse." "Yes!" Ellie skilled nodding her head, Lucas looked more unsure. "On truck mum?" "No probably on ambo buddy. Would you prefer that?" "Yeah," he nodded with a slight smile. I knew how worried he always was about Matt being on truck after he got hurt the last time. "So what do you think?" "I think it's great mum, you should do whatever you want," he smiled.