Chapter Two

Joon Soo

"Park Joon Soo. We are proud to award you with this award for being the best journalist in all of South Korea."

"Gamsahamnida. It is a privilege to be receiving this award," I replied with a bow, taking the award from his hands. My cheeks were starting to hurt from grinning. It was my proudest moment.

"Joon Soo!" I heard my mother's voice call out.

Turning around, I tried to find her in the audience. There were so many people here today. My eyes searched in the first row but she wasn't there. Why is she not in the first row? My family was invited to sit there.

"Joon Soo!" her voice called again.

"Eomma?" I called back.

"Joon Soo!"

"Eomma!"

"Joon Soo wake up!"

My eyes flew open and a frown immediately fell onto my face. It was just a dream. Of course.

"About time you woke up! I've been trying to get you up for at least five minutes. Stop coming home so late and go to bed early."

"Eomma!"

"What?"

"Why did you wake me? I was having the best dream." I sat up in my bed. "I was receiving an award for being the best journalist in Korea!"

"Well you won't receive that without a job. How about you get up and get ready for your interview and maybe you will one day get that award." Shaking her head, she got off my bed and walked out of the room.

With a huff, I got out of bed and shuffled into the bathroom.

*

As I tightened my tie, I stared at my reflection and smiled.

"Annyeonghaseyo. My name is Park Joon Soo," I said, holding out my hand. The smile dropped from my face. No. I have to be more formal than that. "Annyeonghaseyo," I said as I bowed. "Jeoneun Park Joon Soo imnida." I stared back at my reflection. But I don't want to seem too formal. What if they are looking for someone more relaxed for this reporting job? It is a social magazine after all. I'd have to interview celebrities. What if they think I won't be friendly enough?

"Joon Soo! Breakfast!" my mother called out.

A sigh escaped my mouth. I would have to wing it. "Coming!" I called out.

I hurried out of my room into the dining room and sat on the floor next to my sister, Ji Soo.

"You look nice," she commented.

"I always do," I said smugly.

She rolled her eyes and started to eat her rice.

"You look good too," I returned the compliment.

"I'm in my school uniform." Ji Soo was in her final year of high school.

"Your hair is styled nicely," I tried again.

"It's out. It's not styled at all."

"Your skin looks radiant today."

"I have bb cream on. My skin is really bad today."

"Just accept one of my compliments."

"No."

"Come on. Let me be nice!"

"You ruined the friendly atmosphere by being a jerk straight away."

"I know. But at least I was trying to fix it."