Chapter Twenty-Three

Audrey

Joon Soo sat down next to me on the bench, handing me an iced coffee.

            A sigh escaped my mouth.

            "What's wrong?" he asked.

            "I just realised my luggage was on that plane."

            "We'll get it back for you."

            "I know... but I just have nothing to wear until it comes back."

            "Maybe Hye Ri will lend you some clothes?"

            "She may not... she may want to kill me for making her so upset then changing my mind."

            "But she will be happy you've stayed."

            "Hopefully."

            Joon Soo turned my head to meet his. "She will be."

            A small smile spread on my face.

            "Just to make things clear, you're my girlfriend now. I hope you know that."         

            "Am I?"

            "Yes."

            "You never asked."

            "Will you be my girlfriend?"

            A laugh escaped my mouth. "Yes. But..." The smile dropped. "But before we make that official, there's something I need to tell you about my past, because you may change your mind."

            "I don't care about your past."

            "This is important."

            Joon Soo pursed his lips together, but nodded.

            "It's the reason Adam and I broke up."

*

My jaw went slack and my eyes wide as I stared at the two little lines. Dropping the stick in shock, I stepped back, collapsing onto the closed toilet. My hand went to my mouth.

            "No..." I whispered. "Oh no, oh no!"

            Tears welled up in my eyes and began spilling out in a hurry. What do I do? I wasn't ready for this. Adam was going to kill me. I told him many times to be careful, but I knew, in the end, it would be my fault. I missed a pill.

            I pulled out my phone and called my GP, asking for the first appointment available today.

            I rushed out of the bathroom and into mine and Adam's room. I had to confirm this before he got home.

            I grabbed my bag and headed out the door. Hand on the handle, I realised something. I rushed back to the bathroom and grabbed the empty packet and stick, putting the latter inside the former, and hurried to my car, stashing it under the passenger seat.

"Sorry about the wait, Audrey. These things take a bit of time to test for," my doctor said,

            "It's fine," I said in a small voice. "So?"

            He sat down on his chair, turning to look me in the eyes. "You're pregnant, Audrey."

            "Can you give me that morning after pill?"