Chapter Thirty-Four

Joon Soo

After taking Audrey home and watching her fall back asleep, I thanked Hye Ri for letting me know when the appointment was and headed off to work. The moment I arrived, I was corned by Jang Eun Young. She ordered me off into her office and gave me a scoulding.

"I apologise deeply for the inconveniences I caused. I will accept any punishment you give me. I had some personal matters to take care of," I explained.

"Personal matters? They better be good."

"My girlfriend was in the hospital."

Her stern gaze softened. Right now, I respected my boss for the first time. She was acting true to her position for once. "Is she okay?"

I nodded. "She's home resting now. But she'll be okay after a while."

"Okay... next time if something like that comes up, make sure you let me know, okay? For now, you can work until all the paperwork left on your desk is complete."

"I will do that. Thank you for your understanding."

I pardoned myself from her office and went back to my own, getting started on the large stack of paper. Proofreading was a really tiresome job.

*

It was midnight when I finally got home. I didn't turn on the lights as I walked down the hall to my bedroom. I shrugged off my clothes, stripping down to my boxers, and set my alarm for the next day. I quickly sent a text to Audrey, knowing she'd be asleep. I let her know that I miss her and what happened at work. Then I slid under the covers and immediately fell asleep.

When my alarm pulled me from my slumber the next day at seven in the morning, my hand instinctly went for my phone. Audrey hadn't replied yet. I didn't think much of it, however. With all the painkillers, I hoped she was getting a nice long sleep, resting her pain away.

I showered, dressed, and put on my suit, ready to go out the door, when an envelope laying on the entry mat caught my attention. I set down my briefcase and picked up the envelope. There wasn't anything written on it. Cautiously, I opened the letter and pulled out a folded piece of paper and... I turned the picture around and around, trying to identify what I was seeing. Looking at the bottom of the picture, I noticed Audrey's name. My eyes widened in realisation. Our child.

I opened the letter.

Joon Soo,

I'm sorry for telling you like this, but Hye Ri and I had been planning it since I booked the ultrasound. We've gone to Hye Ri's parents' house for the week before semester begins again. It's in Busan, if you're wondering. I need fresh air to clear my thoughts.

Thank you for rushing to my side yesterday and trying so hard to get me back. Your actions have touched me. I just need some time to think over everything. I don't know if we can go back to where we were before all of this. I don't know if it would be wise to keep our relationship going. Could we keep going? Could we establish enough communication and set aside enough time to make this work? And even if I have to leave at the end of the year, will what we had be worth the pain of inevitably ending us? I have to consider these things. If you really are sorry, if you really want me, then I hope you wait for my answer.

Please work hard.

Also, I slipped in the ultrasound. I didn't know if you'd appreciate this or if it would disgust you, but I wanted you to have it anyway, considering it's also your child. I still have mine.