Chapter Fifty

Joon Soo

The light filtering through the crack in the curtains woke me from my slumber. As I stirred, the splitting headache began to grow more painful. My head felt so heavy, I didn't think I could ever lift it from the pillow. Begrudgingly, I opened my eyes to the room.

I immediately sat up, causing my head to spin in the process. I held my hand to my head in the dismal hope that holding my head would stop the ache, which proved unsuccessful.

My surroundings were completely unfamiliar. Where was I? How did I get here? I vaguely remembered drinking with Baek Hu and Hye Ri. I could just remember a person showing up... Hye Ri's boyfriend. But after that drink, my memory had disappeared.

I glanced around the room, trying to find something that would trigger my memory. The room was small: studio-sized. A few cupboards hanging over a sink and single kitchen counter lay next to the door. Another door lay next to what I assumed was the front door. A tall cupboard sat adjacent to the second door. Opposite from me was another single bed. On the bed-side table was a photo frame.

I got out of bed and slowly walked over to it. Everything around me began to spin. A sense of déjà vu swept over me. The exact imaging of grabbing this photo frame went through my head. Hestitantly, I extended my hand and grabbed the frame, slowly turning it over in my hands.

I dropped the frame in shock. It was the same photo that I was picturing in my head.

Kim Hye Ri and an ajumma and ahjussi stood on either side of her.

My head snapped up. Was this another memory? Why did I remember this? Better yet, why was I in Kim Hye Ri's room?

I glanced around the room again. The place looked nearly empty, aside from some things that I assumed were Kim Hye Ri's. Slowly, I turned around to the bed I got up from. Unlike Kim Hye Ri's, the bedside table had been cleared. Yet on it remained an envelope, addressed to me. I slowly seated myself on the bed. The déjà vu returned. A memory of reading another letter addressed to me mixed with a wave of sadness went through me.

After inhaling a deep breath, I unfolded the letter and began to read.

Park Joon Soo,

I don't know where to begin.

*

"Hey! Watch it!" a woman called out after me as I ran down the busy city street. "Taxi!" I called out.

Midday. Incheon airport. Terminal 2, gate 4, Hye Ri had said. I repeated the location over and over again in my head to ensure I remembered. I couldn't forget.

I only had an hour to get there. I was scared I might not make it.

Do you remember this? Do you remember waking up here? I hope this jogs your memory, because it's the last thing I have left. As Hye Ri told you, I'm leaving today. If this doesn't make you remember, then nothing will. And I guess if you don't remember, then you don't have to remember me. But let me introduce myself one last time.

I pulled my phone out and rang Kim Hye Ri.

"Hello?" she answered.

"Are you at the airport?"

"No, I couldn't make it. I have to work."

"Can you call her and stop her?"