Day fourty-seven: Lunch

Tacky day sucked. Bennett dressed up and so did I. I just wanted to die in a hole or hide somewhere all day.
     It was now lunch, and Kendal was sitting across from me. Kyle was somewhere else, and I didn't blame him, at all. Bennett was being irritating, and I would have loved to rip his esophagus out and feed it to the wolves, or maybe just his voice box so that I couldn't hear him talk anymore! If he wasn't talking about the Homecoming game on Friday then he was talking about something else that had to do with football. I was getting really mad. I mean don't get me wrong I'm an average sports fan, but enough is enough.
     "I'm going upstairs." I declared abruptly then stood-up.
     Kendal looked at me with alarm, and Bennett had a puzzled expression.
     "Upstairs? What is upstairs?" He asked.
     "Oh... Um... Nothing. I just want to go for a walk."
     He stood-up.
     "I'll join you."
     "I have to go pee, Bennett. You can't go with me. The bathrooms upstairs are better." I said, "Right, Kendal?"
She stood-up.
"Sit, dog." She said with her nicest smile, "I'll go with you."
"Kate."
His voice has so much venom packed into one little word.
"Don't do anything you'll regret."
"Yes, sir."
*****
     "He knows."
     "Who?"
     "My dumbass 'boyfriend'."
     "Well... I don't see how he can."
     "He has eyes everywhere. That boy is a natural cop's son. He knows what to do."
     "Cop's son? His father is a police officer?"
     "Yes, he's the sheriff's kid." I said, "I hate the sheriff too, so it's all good."
     "That's not good for me. If he knows the sheriff and the sheriff hates you... well then I could be charged with any false charge they decided the nail me for. Including the real on of a student-teacher relationship." He said, "judging by the fact that you are a minor still."
     "Oh calm down. Bennett might be an asshole, but he won't do anything until closer to Christmas break. I know him, and by then it will be too late for them to do anything. I will be eighteen."
     He nodded his head in silence for a second.
     "You looked really weird today."
     I looked down at my horrendous outfit.
     "Tell me something I don't know."
     "That I might already be falling for you."
     I looked dead into his eyes.
     Shit!
     "I must be going." I said walking to the door, "it has been a pleasure."
     Me? He's falling for me? Does that means the likes me or does he love... He can't. He still doesn't feel good about his ex...
     "Kate."
     I looked at him and smiled.
     "Yes, Mr. Hanes?" I said with a pause, "I think I might like you too."
     He smiled back at me then went back to his lunch.
     "You should get back."
     "Yes sir."
     I walked to the hallway and Kendal was standing there waiting on me. We walked back to the cafeteria. Bennett was no longer there at our table.
     "Thank God he's gone." I said sitting down, "I was about to..."
     "Took you long enough."
      I turned and looked at him.
      "Hello, Bennett."
     "Hello." He said sitting next to me.
     "Listen, I get that your excited about the football game, but if you say one more word about football, and I'm going to scream."
     He smiled at me, and got really close to me ear.
     "Football."