Steps

(Well, Jana gave up one chapter before taking Domino's story back...)

Jana-

The moment the car stopped for more than a minute, Jana was waking. He had always been extremely sensitive to movement, so it was no surprise to him when his eyes blinked open to find that the car had parked. He took a moment to let his eyes adjust to the darkness outside, along with the mixture of artificial light from the street lamps lining the sidewalk outside.

Outside. I don't want to go outside. He thought to himself. When his new voice didn't respond, he slowly sat up, nudging Tera aside until she awoke.

He could see Orion standing a few feet from the back of the car, watching him calmly with his hands in his pant's pockets. After taking a few deep breaths, Jana turned toward the large back door and gave a slow nod. Orion returned the gesture and calmly walked over. When Jana heard the click of the latch, then saw the back door begin to rise, he felt his heart stutter. Without thinking, he pressed his hand to the small injury on his forehead, sighing when the pain radiated through his skull. It didn't do much, though, and he found himself trying to tear at the bandage, needing more.

Domino...

The man had stayed out of his mind, for the most part, since he'd left the prison. It felt odd thinking about him, but as the image of his face took the center spot in Jana's mind, he found himself wanting something more than just the pain he needed to calm his nerves. What it was, though, he had no idea, and he wasn't one to delve into things he wasn't familiar with. Thus, he pushed aside the image of the man and steeled himself as the back door opened completely.

Orion was smiling, his posture relaxed as he took three steps back, giving Jana just enough space to not feel crowded. You can do this, Jana. His new voice said, making his eyes widen slightly, then a faint smirk lift his lips.

Considering the sleepiness he heard in the voice, it had to have not awoken with him. It was odd, as his other ones had always been up the moment he had, immediately back on task to torment him throughout his day.

I'm not like them, Jana. I'll keep proving that to you until you can believe me. It said, making him chuckle. He heard two other muffled voices try to speak to him, too, but after being unable to make out their words, he was able to push them aside without any extra stress.

"I'm hungry." He said after another minute of silence as he lowered his hand from his bandaged forehead.

His eyes were on Orion, so he saw the man glance toward the building beside where he parked, making Jana 's eyes follow. It looks like a restaurant... but there's a bouncer outside. So, a bar?

"It's a restaurant that stays open late and turns into a bit of a low key nightclub. The owner, Xena, is pretty cool once she meets someone."

Jana looked back to Orion, catching his phrasing with ease. Once she meets someone. So he had to get through the first meeting without causing a scene. His stomach twisted. If I don't do well, will I be homeless? The idea that he would live in a restaurant wasn't exactly what he'd been thinking about, but to live nowhere?

Nowhere.

Tilting his head, his eyes narrowed, though it was clear by the unfocused look in his eyes that he wasn't glaring at Orion.

I had a home before and it was terrible. Do I want a home? Is a restaurant a home? Am I living there?

"Jana?"

Blinking out of his thoughts, Jana refocused his attention on Orion.

"My good friend made dinner a bit ago. Would you like to go inside and eat?"