Chapter One

We were heading to Russia to get away from the mess that had happened. We had stopped at a small tavern because Dr. Nan had fallen ill. A Healer was on his way here. We were in a room talking. I stared in the mirror at my white head and gray eyes. I had all my gifts and abilities. In fact, I was stronger but I had the white hair and gray eyes that made me looked like Brielle and not Aaron. It hadn't been a full day since I had found out that I was their daughter.

It was still difficult to process that I- a Guardian- in fact was Iris Casen, King Aaron and Queen Brielle's daughter. I wasn't sure what had happened to me. Maybe Ian's death had some sort of effect on me.

"Brielle has been protecting you all this time." Byron commented from across the room. I met his tired green eyes and shook my head. Byron was my old instructor and possibly maybe still the current King of the Immortals. We had just ran from Elizabeth after she had tried to take the throne. I wasn't even sure if she had even taken it or if it was still open.

"Probably." I rubbed my side trying to take a deep breath. "She knew what was going to happen." Even when the rest of us had no clue what was going on. She was still having an effect on us.

"Maybe. Maybe not." Ezra muttered. Ezra Miller was the oldest Guardian and in charge of the current Guard. He was tall and broad shouldered with bright blue eyes that were always laughing. "So your Queenliness what's next?"

"I'm not Queen." I told Ezra, it came out more like a growl than I had intended.

"Not yet." Ezra laughed at me. I sighed heavily not sure anymore. I wasn't even sure if I wanted to be Queen. "We'll get your throne back don't worry. Fucking Elizabeth had some tricks up her sleeve."

"Yeah she did." Taron nodded. Taron's dark eyes were on me now. His dark tan skin looked pale under the bright lights from the hotel room. He hadn't said very much since we had escaped from Elizabeth. Taron was the Warlock Queen's brother. He had stepped down from his throne because according to Byron it had been for me. "But they all couldn't believe that a girl was the next Immortal Heir. My money hadn't been on you." Taron chuckled. I turned from the mirror and looked at them.

"How did you guys know?" I asked Thomas, Ezra and Byron. Thomas was tall and lanky with blonde hair. He was the complete opposite of Ezra. Dr. Nan, my old swords instructor, was in a separate room sleeping. He had been injured during our escape.

"Since Ares's rejuvenation. Only someone from the royal family could control Ares." Byron mumbled. Ares had rejuvenated from his ashes over two years ago. I had absorbed the fire trying to contain it. I guess I should have known then.

"I guessed after our first year. I told Byron about it." Thomas smiled at me. He looked so proud of himself. "I mean I had been dropping hints but both of you didn't listen."

"I didn't figure it out until our Trials. At least I'm not as dense as you." Ezra teased with a broad smile.

"Accepting to be a Guardian is far different from realizing that I could be their daughter." I sighed feeling slightly defeated. "How the hell am I supposed to be a Queen?" I admitted to them. "I could barely stay alive. How am I supposed to protect hundreds of people?" I choked not meeting any of their eyes. Nobody said anything.

Thankfully, there was a knock on the door and I got up not glancing at any of them. Taron's Healer was at the door. I let him through while Taron showed him where Dr. Nan was. I couldn't even face Dr. Nan.

What was I supposed to tell him?

Hey so guess what? I'm Queen. Now what? Dr. Nan would be the closet living relative I had. Well the Old Queen who actually was now really my grandmother was still alive. I didn't want to go see her. Not too long ago I had told her she would die alone. Great, I had threatened my only living blood relative.

Maybe it was all a lie. I seriously wanted to hit my head against something.

"You being a Queen isn't a bad thing." Thomas put a gentle hand on my shoulder. I sighed letting my head drop. "You are going to do great besides you'll have us."

"We don't even know if Byron is officially out as King, or if Elizabeth actually did become Queen. Dr. Nan didn't finish the ceremony and the crown broke." Ezra told us. I nodded in agreement. "We are seriously going to have the whole world battling for that the throne when they find out."

"Or we are going to get hunted." Thomas added. I glared at both of them. They didn't have to be so morbid.

"We have to get to my home." Taron told us. He was going to support us until we had a plan. "I'm sure my sister will help you out."

"I don't know. She is becoming neutral." Thomas grimaced. He took a seat next to me. He was helping me relax in his own gentle way that he had. "The Goblins can't help us. We could go to them for advise?" Maybe we did need to see Henri and the Goblins.

Byron groaned from his corner.

"Where is the Guard now?" I asked Ezra. His eyes glazed over momentarily.

"Nearing Germany. They'll be there before us." he blinked at us. "Max and Young are leading the Guard."

"Where is-?" Thomas frowned at him. He was asking for his own Second.

"He got killed." Ezra told him. Ezra had an attachment to the entire Guard since he was the oldest. Thomas nodded woodenly. I grasped his hand tightly.

"We didn't suffer many casualties. Rima got out okay." Ezra's eyes glazed over again. "She is with them. Eric is travelling to meet them with some soldiers your sister has supplied." He turned his head to Taron. He suddenly frowned.

"There is a bounty on your head Iris. Elizabeth and Anika are asking for your head." he came back to us.

"We expected that." Thomas nodded. I turned to him. How could he be so calm? "We need to get a move on. As quickly as possible."

We nodded in agreement. The Healer came back out.

"He will be fine. That man is a beast." His lips twitched. We laughed uneasily. That was his nickname.

"When can he move?" TAron asked him, handing him a bag of coins.

"I wouldn't advice you- he can be moved." The Healer nodded with a grimace.

"Remember you haven't seen us."

"Not at all. Not to worry." The Healer grasped his shoulder. "Your secret is safe with me. I'll be heading into Russia." He told Taron meaningfully. "Your Highness. Guardians." He addressed us with a head tilt. Byron and I looked at each other. Who was he referring to?