2

Chapter 2

Amstelveen

7:20

The annoying sound of the alarm clock buzzed through the room and Noelle's green-gray eyes shot open. At first, she did not understand what was going on and continued sleeping, ignoring the irritating sound. A few moments later, her eyes shot open again and she hurried off the bed, realising it was her first day at school.

She had a really hard time falling asleep yesterday and the fact, that she has fallen asleep later than midnight reflected on her will to get up and get going. Entering the bathroom, she decided to skip shower and brushed her teeth and put her hair up in a high ponytail, to keep it out of her face. Staring at herself in the mirror, she though about what she would wear.

Her body complexion was of average height. She was lean and a bit athletic, thanks to the gym membership, that she once had. Although she hated wearing leggings, she thought they looked ugly, she loved wearing skinny jeans to show off her thin, but muscular thighs. The only thing she really disliked in herself was her face, even though many people didn't understand why.

She had stunning facial features of a model: perfect, white teeth, that made her smile look even prettier; piercing, bright eyes, which had a thick row of long eye-lashes around them; visible, high cheekbones; dark eyebrows, that gave gave her a bigger variety of possible face-expressions and a very proportional nose. Overall, her face looked beautiful.

After doing everything in the bathroom, she opened her wardrobe and started searching for something to wear. Her eyes rushed form one piece of clothing to another, as her finger pads literally touched every single thing in that wardrobe. A few minutes later, she decided to stop on skinny jeans, a plain, white t-shirt and a light blue sweater on top. She tied the laces on her white converse shoes and grabbed her backpack and her phone and hurried downstairs.

Elena was already there, drinking a cup of tea and reading a magazine. She was dressed in casual clothes: jeans, white shirt and a black cardigan. Her short hair was neatly combed.

"Morning," Noelle greeted her mother and took a cup to drink tea as well. She didn't feel hungry at all, all of her appetite was probably consumed by worry, however she did take some money, which she decided to spend on buying food in school.

"Morning," Elena responded, drank the last bit of tea in her cup, got up and placed it in the sink. "Ready to go? I think it's a very long ride to your school."

"How do you know?"

"Google Maps," Elena replied, smiling and Noelle giggled. Her mother loved the technology and using it, but sometimes she went a bit overboard.

"Fine," Noelle said, getting up and putting her cup in the sink. She took her backpack and they exited the house. It was really cold outside and Noelle suddenly regretted not taking something to wear on top of that sweater, but then decided to just let it be.

Getting into the car, she took out her phone and put on her headphones, putting on some music. They drove through the crowded streets of Amstelveen, a small district on the outskirts of Amsterdam. It looked better in the morning, with the sunshine shining in the blue sky.

The vocalist whispered the words into Noelle's ears, as she listened to the song, drowning in the melody of the music, exhaling and inhaling deeply, as the sounds rushed through her mind, flooding her brain. She loved every second of it - listening to music and driving through the town, looking at the beautifully constructed homes and rare landscapes of fields.