19

Chapter 19

Utrecht

10:46

It was nearly 11 o'clock, when Noelle glared on her phone screen. The lesson would be coming to an end soon and she couldn't wait to finally be able to escape in the library, leave all the staring, as well as the slight anxiety, that all the eyes created. The teacher was concluding everything and writing homework on the board. 

As soon as the bell rang, Noelle shot up from her seat and began swiftly gathering all of her things and putting them into her bag. She smiled at the teacher, while exiting the classroom and headed straightaway to the library, without looking around or glancing at anyone. 

It was quiet, nearly nobody there. For the past two days, she had been hiding in the library. Rumours spread quickly, especially in such a small school like Herman Brood Academy. By the end of Monday morning, most people knew about what happened between Martijn and Noelle, at least the closest circle of friends and the people associated with them. 

People were jealous. People were angry, too. Nobody understood what happened between them, because the real reason was hidden between the constant rumours and lies. People blamed her, of course, because no-one could bear to blame Martijn and she understood that. He was just too good of a person to blame. 

Throwing her bag against the table legs, she took out her notebook and earphones to plug into her phone. She couldn't bear to study in silence - her thoughts could drown her at any moment. Reading the words over and over again, she wondered if anyone from her friendship circle actually missed her. 

The meaning of what she was reading didn't really reach her mind, she was only trying to shorten time before the next lesson. She only had two left, because some people had an exam and everyone had to leave before it starts.

Her parents finally returned from Eindhoven and Emilia had left just the day before. Her life was finally back to the old, quiet life she had, except that now she had no Martijn in it. She didn't speak to Zac since their date to the cinema and it was not like she wanted to - she had to fix herself first, before beginning new relations with other people. 

The rest of the day was spent in complete and utter boredom, which she could not escape. When the final bell rang, Noelle hurried outside to get a taxi, as no-one would be able to pick her up today. However, as she walked, crossing the road, someone called her:

"Noelle!" She heard a familiar voice call her and quickly, she turned around. It was Francis, in his car, smiling softly at her. "Can I give you a ride?" 

"Um, sure," Noelle replied, coming to the car and getting inside. Swiftly, she took out her phone and texted her mom that she is being picked up by a friend and not to worry about her. 

"How are you doing?" Francis asked, as they drove away from the school building and towards the highway. Noelle wasn't sure if Francis knew or not, maybe he was just trying to be sympathetic. No matter what his intentions were, this simple, but kind gesture made her feel slightly better. Not alone, at least. 

After a few seconds of coming up with a reply, Noelle answered, "Not too bad, but not too good." 

"Sorry to hear about you and Martijn," he said, keeping his gaze on the road. "I always thought you would have a bright future together, but then who knows. Nothing is really predictable, but I am still very sorry."